Used 2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van

View reviews for a specific Econoline Cargo model:

350,000 miles going strong
By dlf105

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van E-250 3dr Ext Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van over a year ago with 330,000 miles on it, its the ext. 3/4 ton version with a 4.6l. I was skeptical at first but for $1500 I figured it was worth a shot. We drive it everywhere, its been on several 6-8 hours trips. I use it to haul Mx bikes to the races. The 4.6l gets around 16-17 mpg on the highway fully loaded which is 4 bikes, 4 guys and all of our gear for a weekend of racing and riding. If you need something to haul stuff, this is it. Find one that was well maintained and you can't go wrong.

Favorite Features

The room, its so huge.

Suggested Improvements

offer a ford factory 4x4 version, the quigley's are a little expensive.

Maybe the most gas thirsty vehicle
By datadave

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van E-150 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new (used) van. However it is misnamed Econoline. I got the 6 cylinder to save at least a gallon or two mpg but see little difference with the more powerful V8 so consider a very thirsty 8 as the 6 is fairly underpowered up hills. Also, need winter tires if in snow or ice, worst traction of any vehicle. Typical van! I knew that going into this, so I am very happy otherwise. It's a great tool shed on wheels, and visibility and safety seems above others. Drive slow and coast (in gear) down hills and maybe gain a mile per gallon. Yet to get above 16 and half mpg even with a v6. Otherwise awesome.

Favorite Features

Large capacity for hauling stuff. Comfortable ride. Driver's visibility. Good heat and a/c and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Econoline should mean economical not comical gas hog. (other brands are also bad on gas and Ford looks like a van should!)

satisfied customer
By db

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van E-250 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Never had to return to dealer. Changed oil every 3000 miles. Had transmission serviced regularly. Changed brakes at 95,000 miles. 18 mpg hwy.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, well built.

Suggested Improvements

none.

The BEst
By rihie29029

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van E-350 SD 3dr Van (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best vehicles ever! i put over 50k miles a year, nothing but rliable transportation

Favorite Features

5.4l Triton v8

Solid, well built, dependable
By sac7000

2003 Ford Econoline Cargo Van E-150 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After one month of ownership I am very happy with my new van. Very well built, extremely quiet, even more quiet then my 1997 Chevy Cavilier was. Handles like a dream with excellent visiblity and a solid braking when needed. I bought this van remembering how much fun I had owning a 78 Ford van years ago. It's big, it's comfortable and I feel very safe in it.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, very little road noise, excellent visibility, ease of handling and dependability.