Used 1997 Ford E-150 Econoline Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific E-150 model:

Got a Lemon
By stillbuyinfordsfords

1997 Ford E-150 Van Econoline 3dr Cargo Van

Luckily I bought the 70000 mile extended warranty. At 50000 miles the transmission went out requiring a complete rebuild. At 65000 miles the engine leaked coolant into the crankcase requiring a new longblock.Most irritating was that the radiator was replaced by Ford with a faulty radiator which I drove 18000 miles in 8 months---Fords policy is 12 mo. or 12000---which means I had to Pay. In one three month period the dealership had the van longer than I did!.I hope that this is indicative of the newer vans--my 1990 has 200000 on it and going strong.Warning! don't buy the V6 standard engine---it's absolutely gutless in every sense of the word.

---Fantastic rear view mirrors and driver ergonomics ---Really quiet for a cargo van ---Awsome standard radio ---Really good A/C

Build a drivetrain that holds up! Warranty replacement parts that are not subject to wear and tear for the full twelve months. I think a radiator shouldn't wear out in 18000 miles.

Courier Work Van
By Colin459

1997 Ford E-150 Van Econoline 3dr Cargo Van

This van was a very good work van with the exception of the transmission. I put 250,000 miles on this van but went through 3 transmissions. I did do a lot of stop and go driving though.

Better Transmission.