1997 Ford E-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-150 model:
Best Van
By Momofsix on 07/25/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 Chateau Club Wagon 3dr Van

This has been our best vehicle. We have owned it for 12 years now hauling lots of kids, drywalling, etc. We have quad seating and added a 2nd bench so that we can carry 10-11 people. This van worked great for vacations-lots of room. I have loved sitting up high and used it to teach my children to drive! We do tend to go through brake pads every 30K. The air still runs cold! No major repairs! Only had to replace the idle arm, battery and tires. I will be sad when we replace the "Vanmobile".

What a major dud!
By MIllers on 01/18/08 17:30 PM (PST)

1997 Ford E-150 Chateau Club Wagon 3dr Van

This was the worst vehicle we have ever owned!! We put $6,000 in repairs in it during the 2 years that we owned it. We finally ended up junking it and are still paying for the repairs we did. We hated this van so much that we are very leary of buying a Ford ever again. The repairs we did were timing belt cover seal, alternator, new engine, catalytic coverter (final straw) It let us down on vacation the first summer that we owned it. It was just a terrible, terrible experience!!!

1997 Clubwagon
By Bill I. on 03/15/07 19:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon 3dr Van

This vehicle provided many reliable years of service and was our workhorse. Was better than I expected. Would recommend it to anyone. Mileage was better than expected.

Good van for the money
By rooddog on 02/02/06 14:35 PM (PST)

1997 Ford E-150 XL Club Wagon 3dr Van

We were looking for a van 3 years ago to replace our Dodge Caravan. I wanted a truck but we had to settle on one vehicle and this was it. Since then we have (a) hauled kids (b) hauled materials, including 4x8 sheets of drywall inside (c) done a lot of camping. This van works good for all aspects. This has been reliable and taken us everywhere we needed to go. The 4.8 V8 works fine, but if you can find one with a 5.3 V8 you'll be happier with the power and the gas mileage will be the same. The V6 is underpowered, even if you are only hauling people, and it gets the same mileage! Repair costs can be above average but the frequency of repairs has been the least of all our vehicles.

206,500 And Going Strong
By New Covenant Windows on 09/20/05 15:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 XL Club Wagon 3dr Van

Our 1997 Club Wagon 4.2L V6 has 206,500 miles and we still use it frequently for our family. We bought the van when it was a year old and since then have only had a few major repairs -- like a transmission tailshaft seal, alternator replacement and some sporadic brake problems. The motor runs well and has decent power for a V6, but it isn't getting the best economy anymore -- about 16 mpg. It still has the original 4r-70W 4 speed automatic transmission. It slips a little in reverse and shudders at stops once in a while but otherwise no major problems. The brakes aren't the best, we tend to go through front pads frequently (every 30K or so).

UTILITARIAN
By JACKMI on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon 3dr Van

We have used the vehicle primarily for family vacations, which involve camping, skiing, kayaking, and hiking. We did get the non-slip differential which was very helpful in winter conditions. The fuel "economy' leaves something to be desired. For the size it handles quite well on the highway and is fairly quiet. We have had on cylinder head replaced, but we do drive the 5.4L hard and do tend to load the vehicle down with camping or skiing gear for as many as 7.

V-6 Problems
By aliston on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon 3dr Van

Coolant leaks along with rebuilt engine at 42,000(Yes,I did have the extended warranty, it is a Ford!) Van is slightly underpowered but works for around town driving. Interior has large cargo space and removalable seats make it very flexable.

Got a Lemon
By stillbuyinfordsfords on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 Econoline 3dr Cargo Van

Luckily I bought the 70000 mile extended warranty. At 50000 miles the transmission went out requiring a complete rebuild. At 65000 miles the engine leaked coolant into the crankcase requiring a new longblock.Most irritating was that the radiator was replaced by Ford with a faulty radiator which I drove 18000 miles in 8 months---Fords policy is 12 mo. or 12000---which means I had to Pay. In one three month period the dealership had the van longer than I did!.I hope that this is indicative of the newer vans--my 1990 has 200000 on it and going strong.Warning! don't buy the V6 standard engine---it's absolutely gutless in every sense of the word.

Courier Work Van
By Colin459 on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 Econoline 3dr Cargo Van

This van was a very good work van with the exception of the transmission. I put 250,000 miles on this van but went through 3 transmissions. I did do a lot of stop and go driving though.

If you have kids and a boat ......
By Helmut / New York on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon 3dr Van

Bought this custom E 150 Van with 4.6/V8 to pull boat and move my family around on longer trips. Great vehicle with lots of space and the TV/VCR keeps things quiet with the offspring. Beats my SUV I had before the Van. Engine is strong enough and gas milage is around 15-16 MPG on the highway. Never had any mechanical problems and winter tires make it driveable in the snow. Would buy it again!