2004 Ford Crown Victoria Consumer Review: Police Interceptor

2004 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Review

LX Sport Sedan (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Police Interceptor
By automaniac9 on

2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car is great value for the money, especially used; that's if you find the perfect one. Now, this being a police version, it does ride a lot firmer than the standard car, but since the seats are so comfortable, it almost doesn't matter. Being a police spec car also means that it gets all the powertrain improvements over even the LX Sport. I was even lucky enough to get one with matching seats. The wheels on the car do rust quite easily; my car has 159000 miles and there is quite a bit of rust on each rim. The power delivery is very broad in this car, but I found that it loses power when getting close to the redline. It corners pretty flat, but it's easy to upset, especially in the rain.

The sound from that 4.6 SOHC V8 is amazing, and the transmission shifts nice and firm. The interior is basic yet functional. I was lucky enough to get a police spec car with a tape deck. The sound system isn't too shabby either. This car is very intimidating, especially with the police spec black steel wheels.

The police issue Goodyear RS-A P Eagle tires leave something to be desired; I know what it is, grip! It is a very big car in general, but it tends to feel bigger than it actually is. Wet weather traction is terrible (most likely due to the mediocre tires), and it's easy to get the tail out, which can be a bad thing, especially for inexperienced drivers with lead feet.