Used 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Surprisingly Ideal
By Benton S

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my green/grey LX because I wanted something more reliable for a long commute, but it turned into something much more fun. I'm from an area where winter takes over half the year, and have experienced a fair number of fender benders that haven't left a mark! Reasonable fuel economy and luxurious roomy interior makes my car a favorite for road trips, V8 power makes passing a breeze, and the spacious truck can easily haul anything I could ever want. Being a 20 yr old student, I didn't think I'd love this land-yacht so much. But no cops pull me over because they think I'm a ghost car, and nobody passes me for the same reason! Talk about added safety features. I don't think I'll ever sell.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, lots of truck space, plenty of power, and my particular vehicle is loaded with features! Overall, the best, most reliable car I've ever owned by far.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy in the city is disappointingly low, (around 16mpg) and the headlights are dimmer than I would like, as they've started to cloud. Also, it is a full size sedan, so it's not quite as appealing to the eye as a 20 year old would like.

Nothing more than True Engineering
By AJ

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Everyone in my family either has this car, or has had one. As a previous owner of 3 of these cars (2 police editions, and 1 base version), I cannot state how reliable and dependable this car is. The thing I truly love about this car, and cannot stress this enough, is that it is true quality engineering for the American car makers. I don't even believe Asian/European car makers can come close to how awesome of a car this is. Yes, the car is practically a submarine on wheels with its size and looks, and the entire isn't anything fancy. But what this is, is no stupid computers that break down, just quality mechanical engineering, and we truly need more of these types of cars now!

Favorite Features

My family currently has 2 of these, and about 7 in the past. All of them can go up to 200-350K miles on them, with the same engine and transmission with only basic care. Amazing handling, performance is NEVER a let down, reliability is unbeatable, and if truly just a drivers car!

Suggested Improvements

Despite it being a 4.6L V8, it gets decent gas mileage, however with gas prices I doubt much people will be drawn to this. The only thing I would like more of, is the interior. The interior hasn't changed much in my opinion in over a decade, vintage but tiring.

Good travelin' car
By Nathan

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought an 03 Crown Vic LX Sport for the trunk and low-tech V8. I'm young and wanted the sport for the console and more aggressive look. Have had only minor problems (brakes) in 70K miles. Did have to replace the AC control unit ($900) when it went out at 60K. Best mileage on a tank was 23, mostly highway. Tires are a little pricey. Also seems a little hard to control at speed in the wind.

Favorite Features

This car should go 200K no problem, and will probably keep it until about then. Trunk size and comfort reign supreme. Want RWD and size in an American car? This is your choice.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk hinges should be European design and not interfere with items in the trunk when you close the lid. Should be able to lift windshield wipers to clean windshield without having to half-cycle them--wiper arms do not clear the hood. Also needs a vent/floor mix on the climate control.

a few more adjustments...
By Jeff

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had three Vics (85,89,03). I like the room (I'm 6-3). You can fit two child seats in back and still squeeze someone in between. And the safety of a larger car-it can take a decent thump. The car "sits" nicely on the road (not a "boat"). Aerodynamically quiet-I can have the windows down at 55 and the air flows quietly around the car. Unfortunately, the noise I do hear comes from the tranny (my '89 was the same way!) a sort of low pitched whine - like blowing across the top of a nearly full soda bottle.Another peeve is the way the trunk lid holds water until you open it, then it drips into the trunk and on your head. Gets about 20mpg on 300 mi./wk. mostly rural, varied. Not too bad!

Favorite Features

A solid feel for the road. Stable, responsive steering. Nice passing power at highway speeds when you want it. Roomy interior! Roomy trunk even with a full-sized spare. Fairly quiet with windows up or down. Audio system is fairly strong 'as is'. Accessory outlet under console (two's better). Comfy. :)

Suggested Improvements

The tranny whine - fix it or hide it. Better drainage of water from the deck lid trim. A little more leg support in the front seat. Cornering lamps would be great. Does the paint have to be so thin-skinned? More power on the low- end. Put the powertrain from my '94 Marquis into this ride!

Great car
By bob cox

2003 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new after owning a couple of Tauruses, a Sable and a Grand Marquis. I chose the Sport package and it is awesome. The power, handling and seating is so much better than the Grand Marquis. This car has done 90,000 miles, both long trips and local driving and has only had one non- maintenance repair, the rear air suspension compressor at 60,000 miles. Fuel mileage is consistently in the 26 mpg range even with the lower differential gearing of the Sport pkg. I'm in process of buying a 7000 mile 2006 LX Sport to replace it. Best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Sport package, performance, ride and handling, bucket seats with console, great sound system and total reliability. Great acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Update the interior a bit. No tachometer on 2003, (added it again later)