Used 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Owner
By Lee

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Rear axles went bad 2 months after warranty was past, but less than 36,000 miles. The car was on recall for this problem if it was a fleet vehicle, but not for a private owner. Rotors went out of shape at 39,500 miles. Wind noise around the front doors at highway speeds. It's interesting that Ford now gives longer warrantys for the same car. Is Ford hurting? No more Fords for me

Awesome vehicle
By John

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this car from 22,000 miles, now have 86,000, all trouble free. I've taken it on several road trips, even went camping (the trunk fit tents, 4 sleeping bags, a cooler, and a camp grill). I bought the car back when I worked at a Ford dealership, because I had seen how well built they are, and how rarely they had any serious concerns. I intend to keep it for a long time. Some reviews on here talk about weak brakes, but I've never had any trouble bringing it to a quick stop

Favorite Features

This car is bigger than most SUV's! Smooth power, awesome reliability

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be better. All vics should have dual exhaust. Rear seat headrests, I put full size adults back there better cupholder

Comfort, safety, beauty
By Hazel F

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned it for 1 year now. Have had no trouble at all. I'm a tall heavy woman and the electronic adjustable seats are wonderful. Love to take it on long trips. Gas mileage about 27 mpg. Not bad for this size car.

Favorite Features

Power seats, tilt steering, leg room, arm rests, elbow room, large trunk.

a few more adjustments...
By Jeff

2003 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had three Vics (85,89,03). I like the room (I'm 6-3). You can fit two child seats in back and still squeeze someone in between. And the safety of a larger car-it can take a decent thump. The car "sits" nicely on the road (not a "boat"). Aerodynamically quiet-I can have the windows down at 55 and the air flows quietly around the car. Unfortunately, the noise I do hear comes from the tranny (my '89 was the same way!) a sort of low pitched whine - like blowing across the top of a nearly full soda bottle.Another peeve is the way the trunk lid holds water until you open it, then it drips into the trunk and on your head. Gets about 20mpg on 300 mi./wk. mostly rural, varied. Not too bad!

Favorite Features

A solid feel for the road. Stable, responsive steering. Nice passing power at highway speeds when you want it. Roomy interior! Roomy trunk even with a full-sized spare. Fairly quiet with windows up or down. Audio system is fairly strong 'as is'. Accessory outlet under console (two's better). Comfy. :)

Suggested Improvements

The tranny whine - fix it or hide it. Better drainage of water from the deck lid trim. A little more leg support in the front seat. Cornering lamps would be great. Does the paint have to be so thin-skinned? More power on the low- end. Put the powertrain from my '94 Marquis into this ride!

Good travelin' car
By Nathan

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought an 03 Crown Vic LX Sport for the trunk and low-tech V8. I'm young and wanted the sport for the console and more aggressive look. Have had only minor problems (brakes) in 70K miles. Did have to replace the AC control unit ($900) when it went out at 60K. Best mileage on a tank was 23, mostly highway. Tires are a little pricey. Also seems a little hard to control at speed in the wind.

Favorite Features

This car should go 200K no problem, and will probably keep it until about then. Trunk size and comfort reign supreme. Want RWD and size in an American car? This is your choice.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk hinges should be European design and not interfere with items in the trunk when you close the lid. Should be able to lift windshield wipers to clean windshield without having to half-cycle them--wiper arms do not clear the hood. Also needs a vent/floor mix on the climate control.