P71 Police Cruiser
By Jacob L. on
2001 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
This is one reliable and strong vehicle. Bought used w. 117000 miles - only spent ~ $1000 on service/repairs over the last 4.5 years / 40.000 miles. Appears reasonably simple and cheap to fix. Somewhat noisy on highway. Winter traction is not very good, but winter tires help a lot. Lower rear diff. in police vehicle results in max. 23 mpg. on highway. Spacious interior and trunk - though trunk could be more regular and not so deep. Passing anywhere is swift and effortless with strong engine - though you can REALLY hear it because of the minimal sound insulation. If you don't commute this is one solid, safe car that's affordable used and cheap to maintain.
Favorite Features
Reliability. Roominess. Power. Safety in collision. Most people drive nicely around you, because they think it is a police car ;o) Safer in seedy neighborhoods - who's going to carjack a police car...
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage, interior noise, handles like a tugboat in the winter, really needs traction control - will spin one rear wheel endlessly, if you get stuck. Seats need better lateral support. Needs better radio - but it's an easy upgrade.
By dj1956
on 07/29/11 21:02 PM (PDT)

PLEAS E BRING THE CAR BACK . IT HAS PROVEN IT SELF FOR 11 + YEARS . THIS IS THE BEST PRODUCTION CAR EVER BULIT BY FORD. I WOULD LIKE TO MEET THE PERSON WHO DECIDED TO DIS CONTINUE THIS MODAL . WHEN YOUR FIRST RESPNDERS LIKE THE DEPERTMANT OF HOMELAND SECURITY , FBI + ALMOST EVERY AGENCT THAT USES THIS CAR FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT I THINK YOU WOULD CHANCE YOR MIND BUT YOUR EGO WILL NOT LET YOU

By dj1956
on 07/29/11 20:54 PM (PDT)

I have a P71 ( my 3rd one ) I had a 1987. 1993 , and the 2001 I am driving now . Many First Responders FBI , Secret Service, Police Departments , Home Land Security , State Patrols , + others do not want FORD to Stop It. The last of these great cars will finish production in 2010 . HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BE BACK AND HOPE I AM RIGHT . The replacement vehicle get this I first thought some one was pulling my leg but they where not . The REPLACEMENT IS THE ( I Hope You Are Sitting Down ) The Ford Tarsus Sho Edition That's right the same junk that the engines would freeze up at high speeds ( The Crankshafts where weak and would break ) The Turbo would lock up when ever it liked and then the wonderful ( SAC ) Transmissions that held up so well. FORD has said it will be built on a larger frame then the Civilian model by two feet . This is the biggest mistake Ford has ever made , worse then the Ford Edsel and the Rolling Fire Bombs The Pinto . The Crown Vic Police Interceptor was completely built from the ground up since 1999 to 2010 with many improvements since 1999 . I would love to have a 2010 I am down to one car and sadly I must sell my 2001 as my driver car was totaled by a drunk . It was the 2 Door 1987 LTD MODEL which is a classic. I live in Snow Country ( Idaho ) and they are horrible in the snow. I sold the 1995 in 2005 as I was hoping gas would drop down . The 2001 is my daily driver now and yes they guzzle fuel .