A great bargin with lots of character.
By fieldtd on
2001 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
This review is for the Police Interceptor model of the Crown Vic. I bought mine at a bargain price with low mileage, but some work needed, almost immediately after it was decommissioned from a metro police department. More than a year and several repairs later, I can say that this car was still a great deal: it's fairly reliable, comfortable, gets decent gas millage for a 2-ton car: about 19 city 25 highway if driven with a light foot (driving like Mad Max nets something closer to 15/20) and is very fun to drive. It also has a lot of character: there really aren't many other contemporary cars like it on the road. If Ford still made them, the first car I'd buy new would be another Crown Vic.
Favorite Features
Large engine bay, cheap parts, and easy-to access components make working under the hood fun. It's easy to see why cab drivers and police are so fond of it. This is a great car for would-be shade-tree mechanics. It's very comfortable: this the first car I've ever driven that leaves you feeling more comfortable after a long drive when you step out of the car than when you first stepped in. Although it's not a speed-machine it still accelerates with authority and has very precise steering and powerful brakes. It's most entertaining perk is how much respect it gets on the road: I've never been cut off in traffic, and when I change lanes it's like the parting of the Red Sea.
Suggested Improvements
Disclaimer: ideally you won't buy a police special like I did. Even though it's fun to drive, it's pretty obvious that the police drove it hard. Try to get a granny-car instead: even though it seems less cool it's almost the same car and you'll pay less in repairs end up with a higher resale value. Build quality is not the greatest: this car is reminiscent of the big Fords of the 60's and 70's because it already squeaks and rattles like them when driving on bumpy roads. Winter driving can be a handful to those unfamiliar with RWD particularly without studded snow tires. Though this can also be a plus for those who enjoy making parking lot donuts. Overall, don't expect a Camry.