Used 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Police Interceptor Tough as Nails
By fordmustang_27

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car from auction in september 2011. Its the 2001 crown vic P71. Had low miles og 86k. It was a take home detective car. I bought it b/c it was in such good shape. Mechanically perfect absolutly no promblems what so ever. I loved the look, power, and comfort of it right away. It looked like a regular street car since it has the street package but i transformed it to a legit cop car. I did tint, center caps and spot light and came out great. Its silver and look very sharp with all the black I incorperated into it. Iv put 5000 miles on and i had no problems with it. Just did two oil changes and brakes thats it. Very reliable and dependable car. I will definitly buy another.

Favorite Features

Comfort of the sofa seats. Power of V8. And scare factor of police interceptor.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

A great bargin with lots of character.
By fieldtd

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This review is for the Police Interceptor model of the Crown Vic. I bought mine at a bargain price with low mileage, but some work needed, almost immediately after it was decommissioned from a metro police department. More than a year and several repairs later, I can say that this car was still a great deal: it's fairly reliable, comfortable, gets decent gas millage for a 2-ton car: about 19 city 25 highway if driven with a light foot (driving like Mad Max nets something closer to 15/20) and is very fun to drive. It also has a lot of character: there really aren't many other contemporary cars like it on the road. If Ford still made them, the first car I'd buy new would be another Crown Vic.

Favorite Features

Large engine bay, cheap parts, and easy-to access components make working under the hood fun. It's easy to see why cab drivers and police are so fond of it. This is a great car for would-be shade-tree mechanics. It's very comfortable: this the first car I've ever driven that leaves you feeling more comfortable after a long drive when you step out of the car than when you first stepped in. Although it's not a speed-machine it still accelerates with authority and has very precise steering and powerful brakes. It's most entertaining perk is how much respect it gets on the road: I've never been cut off in traffic, and when I change lanes it's like the parting of the Red Sea.

Suggested Improvements

Disclaimer: ideally you won't buy a police special like I did. Even though it's fun to drive, it's pretty obvious that the police drove it hard. Try to get a granny-car instead: even though it seems less cool it's almost the same car and you'll pay less in repairs end up with a higher resale value. Build quality is not the greatest: this car is reminiscent of the big Fords of the 60's and 70's because it already squeaks and rattles like them when driving on bumpy roads. Winter driving can be a handful to those unfamiliar with RWD particularly without studded snow tires. Though this can also be a plus for those who enjoy making parking lot donuts. Overall, don't expect a Camry.

My Vic
By Stan

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it came off the lot. I love it. It is roomy, comfortable, handles well with the handling package. A great car on the highway. I love RWD and V8 power and torque.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, big, and I like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely could use more power, and better fit.

P71 Police Cruiser
By Jacob L.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is one reliable and strong vehicle. Bought used w. 117000 miles - only spent ~ $1000 on service/repairs over the last 4.5 years / 40.000 miles. Appears reasonably simple and cheap to fix. Somewhat noisy on highway. Winter traction is not very good, but winter tires help a lot. Lower rear diff. in police vehicle results in max. 23 mpg. on highway. Spacious interior and trunk - though trunk could be more regular and not so deep. Passing anywhere is swift and effortless with strong engine - though you can REALLY hear it because of the minimal sound insulation. If you don't commute this is one solid, safe car that's affordable used and cheap to maintain.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Roominess. Power. Safety in collision. Most people drive nicely around you, because they think it is a police car ;o) Safer in seedy neighborhoods - who's going to carjack a police car...

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, interior noise, handles like a tugboat in the winter, really needs traction control - will spin one rear wheel endlessly, if you get stuck. Seats need better lateral support. Needs better radio - but it's an easy upgrade.

Most Reliable Car On The Planet
By viclover

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just keep buying tires and change the oil. I havent had to do anything to my ex cop car. After the pigs beat it up for 130k miles I put another 190k on her. She is at 420k miles and still going.

Favorite Features

V8