Used 1999 Ford Crown Victoria Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Former law enforcement vehicle
By oldschool360

1999 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 with only 86k miles. It's white and looks like a lot of highway patrol cars. It drives like a sporty tank and I still managed over 18 mpg on 90 mph road trip. I really like this car and think it will be a good starter car for my two sons in a few years. Definitely a great value. With needed repairs, I only have $3400 in it and can expect to drive it for quite some time. Good bye car payments.

Favorite Features

Suspension, engine, brakes, cop car looks. Mileage between 17 and 22.

Suggested Improvements

Don't stop making Crown Vics Ford. No one will buy your future vehicle. Look for someone to start rebuilding old Crown Vics and selling them to state and local governments.

Not bad
By gman1

1999 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my crown vic for about 6 years now and it is a nice comfortable car to drive. I have never gotten the mileage some are boasting about here, I do about 50/50 city highway never any traffic at 4 am when I go to work. During the summer months I get about 250 miles to a full tank of gas. If I do all highway it might get 300 miles/tank. If I were to do it again I would opt for a newer model with the rack and pinion steering because the antiquated system on these cars wear out parts quickly (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) I've gone through 2 sets of brakes since I've bought it so no complaints there. It has decent power but is no mustang. Had to change the manifold and the coils, big $

Favorite Features

comfortable, quiet car. trunk is enormous

Suggested Improvements

more power or better fuel mileage. Could benefit from better quality parts. cup holders poor

Crown Vic P71
By MaikeP71

1999 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

An amazing car, fun to drive and stylish in a more classy sense. Unimpressive, but understandable gas mileage. Mine is a decommissioned cop car and has been beaten on, handles the beating unbelievably. Five-star reliability. Had accidents NO DENTS, the damage to the other car is astounding though. It's a 2 ton battlecruiser with great handling. My recent hobby is this car. I'm very impressed. A solid car. I improved my gas mileage with water4gas(tm) and a smart chip.

Favorite Features

Engine, style, acceleration, and safety(the car is a tank)

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE only... nothing else...

99 Crown Vic Interceptor
By cvaughn34

1999 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have always owned Crown Vics, and that will never change. This Crown has 292000 miles on it, and still runs like it's brand new. Never had to anything to it, and still doesn't need anything. I wouldn't have an LX, but the Interceptors have it all.

Favorite Features

General design and the power of the Interceptor 4.6.

Suggested Improvements

None, other than changing the plastic intake that a lot of people have had problems with.

No longer available to the public
By skaizun

1999 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

The "cop car", as my friends call it, has had only one minor repair (idle air control valve $200) in the nine years I've owned it (original owner; 84k miles as of 10/2008), excluding basic maintenance, tires, batteries, and fluids. Not the best car I've owned (that honor goes to my 77 Pont Bonneville, bought used), but I'd buy it, again, if I could (Ford no longer makes it available to the public, although its upscale, sister car, the Mercury Grand Marquis is similar).

Favorite Features

Strong, durable, easy to drive; speeders slow down because they think I'm a cop, then drive off faster than before as they pass angrily by for my having slowed them down (maybe I did them a favor!). Even cops wave when we pass each other, so I just wave back!

Suggested Improvements

Half the dashboard lights don't work anymore (I run the exterior lights when I'm driving, so I presume they burned out, but that's never happened with any other car I've had); the cruise control buttons don't work well.