Used 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Ford's best kept secret
By Wolfman

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Interceptor after taking my father's 97 for a short drive. These cars are Ford's best kept secret. Performance is excellent, while still maintaining surprisingly good fuel economy driving 55 mph and keeping a light foot. I would have never given the Crown Victoria a second thought if it weren't for that one test drive. My car is a retired detective car, so I don't have the holes in the roof, or sliced up bumper of the push bar. I paid $3950 for mine, and only needed to buy tires. The car has been flawless since the day I drove it home.

Favorite Features

Value for the price. V8 power with V6 fuel economy. Yes, watching the reactions of paranoid drivers, and I think an officer cut me a BIG break on the way home from work late one night because of this car.

Suggested Improvements

More supportive seats. Better quality interior plastics.

P71 Police Package Vehicle
By crownvicp71

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1998 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in January 2006 and I love this car. It performs and handles very well, acceleration is very good, steering is tight and has remained so (well maintained). This vehicle also provides enough ground clearance to run over curbs and other small obstacles in a pinch. Drives well in the snow (I have Goodyear Eagle performance tires), and only needs chains for blizzard conditions going up hills (no joke). This car has the power when you need it, and it is a feature that I love. Police package lets in more noise, but it would be a great family car. We love it for trips, and it gets me everywhere. Great Canadian-American police car, and family car.

Favorite Features

Rubber floor covering is a plus when cleaning up messes and general car cleaning. The 4.6L 281 cubic inch V8 engine. Oil is VERY clean, low maintenance requirements. Rear wheel drive. It is built like a tank, crash tested at high speeds. SAFE. In one word, indestructible. Would buy again, no doubts.

Suggested Improvements

I could build a house in the turning circle, wish it could turn a bit easier but for its size it does great. Don't shorten the car. Transmission shifts hard between first and second when you floor it, may just be mine though. Gas mileage is ok at 17/23 (city/highway), but could be improved.

Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
By jeramy

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

An overall great car. I've owned several over the years, this is the first with the handling/performance package. The difference is night and day, I won't buy another without it! Good gas mileage for a full size car, handles very well in the snow with traction control and snow tires. Adequate power to get going, excellent for traveling.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling package makes it handle like a large sports car; more power than the base model.

Suggested Improvements

Costs $1000 to do a tune up because there are 8 coil packs! Totally unreasonable and unneccessary. Fortunately only needs new pack every 100,000 miles.

Crown Vic = Best Ever!
By Charles

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Crown Vic rides like a dream and holds up like nothing. With good maintenance transmissions even last 100,000 K. This is unheard of in police vehicles. Excellent vehicle, excellent price, it truly is the "benchmark" that police vehicles are built to compete with.

Favorite Features

A very comfortable place to spend a 8 hour shift! Ample room and good visibility and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more leg room in the back seat. With cages in place the room is limited.

1998 Crown Vic LX HPP
By Nells98Vic

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Vic used about 5 years ago. The handling & performance package helps plant the car on the road and lets you drive a bit more aggressively. Nice to drive on the highway, and in the right weather, can be very peppy off the line. Gas mileage stinks, though many people get good numbers. I think I drive too little, as things do improve if I am on the highway a lot. 5 star crash rating, lots of room, peppier than you'd expect for a dinosaur of a car. Winter driving can be tricky, as this year's traction control will make the car stall if overloaded. Switch it off, get 4 snow tires, and use your brain. That's the secret of driving a RWD V8 in the winter.

Favorite Features

Digital dash is usefull, nice big trunk for hauling mulch & topsoil come Spring, auto level system so the rear bumper won't drag when loaded, great BBS style polished alloys, decent low end torque, etc.

Suggested Improvements

The handling package got 215 hp in 1998 due to dual exhaust (also different rear end gears). Newer years go up to 235 hp. I added Bilstein shocks to improve handling a bit more, but its a heavy car. All in all, a good car that is comfy and well worth the money if you don't need high-tech stuff.