Used 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Trouble
By Mike Kassey

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Headlights 4th set-poor design no quality. Front end - to light for size of car. Wind noise. Poor seat comfort. Rugs & Mats cheap material. Trunk interior paint poor, peals off and leaks water. Shocks to light for the car. Radio a piece of junk. Sold with a governor set by computer at 90mph. Cost you $300 to change out the chip. Large car should come with positive track rear end.

None

No wonder the cops used these
By Matty

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my police interceptor a half a month ago for ,get this, 500 bucks. So naturally for that price I thought it would be a lemon, NOPE!! This car is great! Good fuel mileage for the size of car, lots of legroom, and lots of pep with the 215 HP on tap. Overall great car,would definitely buy another one!

Air suspension, Dual exhaust, RWD is great, Lots of power!!

Gas mileage could be a little better, but oh well. Interior lights won't turn off

Better MPG Than advertised
By Used Cars Only

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Crown Victoria from my company's fleet dept. The headliner needed repair, I put 4 new Michelins on it, 4 new shocks and replaced the seal in the rear diff. After a couple of fuel treatments, it was ready to go and started with 150,000 miles on it. The mpg on the highway was 24 mpg and city was 22.4 mpg! I use regular gas, drive pretty consistently and a lot of it on the highway. Most of the reviews say highway is about 18 but I have measured every tank and I am getting just under 25 miles per gallon highway. The car is quiet, responsive and has a clean car fax. The engine is strong and I oil changes every 3k miles but 6k miles on my Toyota.I will buy a new Vic from Ford.

I am just shy of 7' and love the room, the trunk is huge, the engine is pretty powerful and the entire car is stock!

The new Crown Victoria's have a more powerful engine, side airbags and ABS, better interior comfort and I will buy one from Fordfleet.com in a couple of years.

Great
By Dr. B.

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had never owned a large car before. I was shocked at the great gas mileage. It averages 24.8 miles per gallon. This is a mixture of city and highway. Man this is a smooth driving and low cost to maintain vehicle.

Built to last
By AmericanV8dude

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 'Vic at 4 years old with 40k miles. Some laymen whine about lousy gas mileage but it's really not so bad when you consider how low the cost of maintenance is on this old school American cruiser. It handles like a dream and the V8 makes it a competitor on the highway. Somewhat awkward to drive on cramped city streets but that doesn't seem to bug the cops and cabbies much. I fully intend to buy another when mine finally dies, but at 90K she's still going strong. I pray Ford doesn't make the same mistake Chevy did and discontinue them.

Roomy interior. V8 performance. Smooth ride. Crisp handling. Bulletproof reliability. Cavernous trunk.

A little more horsepower would be nice. And I don't see why Ford couldn't make an optional hybrid Crown Vic to offset the mileage. I think that a Hybrid with the 'Vic's huge interior would be a gold mine!