1998 Crown Vic LX HPP
By Nells98Vic on
1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan
I bought my 1998 Vic used about 5 years ago. The handling & performance package helps plant the car on the road and lets you drive a bit more aggressively. Nice to drive on the highway, and in the right weather, can be very peppy off the line. Gas mileage stinks, though many people get good numbers. I think I drive too little, as things do improve if I am on the highway a lot. 5 star crash rating, lots of room, peppier than you'd expect for a dinosaur of a car. Winter driving can be tricky, as this year's traction control will make the car stall if overloaded. Switch it off, get 4 snow tires, and use your brain. That's the secret of driving a RWD V8 in the winter.
Favorite Features
Digital dash is usefull, nice big trunk for hauling mulch & topsoil come Spring, auto level system so the rear bumper won't drag when loaded, great BBS style polished alloys, decent low end torque, etc.
Suggested Improvements
The handling package got 215 hp in 1998 due to dual exhaust (also different rear end gears). Newer years go up to 235 hp. I added Bilstein shocks to improve handling a bit more, but its a heavy car. All in all, a good car that is comfy and well worth the money if you don't need high-tech stuff.