Used 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

LUV MY '98 VICKY
By sally5266

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I luv my CV, bought it new in 98 and have had so little trouble with it except for batteries / tires. but since 2009 the check engine keeps coming on. i have a great mechanic but i just picked car up from a week at mechanic and the check engine lite came on an hour after we left. i hardly drive the car but in the heat in TX id rather not ride the bus. Ford has GREAT! a/c!!! i wanted a car w/ that was cheap to fix if any problems and i got the most comfy driving car ever! I really wish Ford would remake the CV b/c for large ppl or just a comfy ride this is the car! :) Ive been in a few scraps so car not perf on outside but I only have 70,000 miles on the car.

Its a Crown Victoria, enough said.
By p71pride

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

Mine is an ex-state police car. Served about 100k miles as a patrol car. I am the third owner and got it last fall with 172,000 on the clock. Now has 178k and she will still crank when you lay on the go pedal. Averages about 18 mpg, never left me stranded. Only had to put $170 and 10 minutes of work into it (Idle Air Control valve went, no biggie). Love the scream of the 4.6, factory dual exhaust is awesome. You will get a lot of unwanted attention in a police car though, so keep that in mind (gets old sometimes). They are the only cars that could survive 100k+ of police use then go another 100k easily with basic maintenance. Its no wonder the police have used them for over 20 years.

Favorite Features

V8 power that screams at high rpms, heavy-duty parts, unmatched reliability, good confident looks, bare-bones interior with no extras to break and no frills to get in the way, daul-exhaust with resonator delete, 135 mph limiter (capable of 150+ mph) until 2006 model year.

Suggested Improvements

Wouldnt mind seeing some more power. That said, its got PLENTY for just tooling around and daily driving; trust me these things are rockets on the highway, almost a garunteed smile. However for thier intended police use, the 230 horse (250 from 2004+ model years) is a little low. Other than that, nothing really. Ford got it right, thats why they havent changed the body style since 98.

Best Car I have Ever Owned
By fordltd

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I have ever owned I would say my 98 Vicky is the best and most reliable. I now have 140,000 miles on it and she is still running strong. A few years ago I changed it from a single exhaust to duals, and I changed the shocks and springs from the standard to the severe duty police shocks and springs, so the beast handles better on the roads and around corners. Also the dual exhaust adds a few extra horses giving it more power. It's a shame that Ford is discontinuing the CV's at the end of 2011. I wish they would reconsider and keep making them.

Favorite Features

Body on frame, V8 engine, rear wheel drive. Cheap and easy car to drive and maintain.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would not discontinue them in 2011. They should redesign them, and improve the fuel economy. Keep the CV a rear drive, body on frame, but just freshen up the body and interior.

Better MPG Than advertised
By Used Cars Only

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Crown Victoria from my company's fleet dept. The headliner needed repair, I put 4 new Michelins on it, 4 new shocks and replaced the seal in the rear diff. After a couple of fuel treatments, it was ready to go and started with 150,000 miles on it. The mpg on the highway was 24 mpg and city was 22.4 mpg! I use regular gas, drive pretty consistently and a lot of it on the highway. Most of the reviews say highway is about 18 but I have measured every tank and I am getting just under 25 miles per gallon highway. The car is quiet, responsive and has a clean car fax. The engine is strong and I oil changes every 3k miles but 6k miles on my Toyota.I will buy a new Vic from Ford.

Favorite Features

I am just shy of 7' and love the room, the trunk is huge, the engine is pretty powerful and the entire car is stock!

Suggested Improvements

The new Crown Victoria's have a more powerful engine, side airbags and ABS, better interior comfort and I will buy one from Fordfleet.com in a couple of years.

Ford's best kept secret
By Wolfman

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Interceptor after taking my father's 97 for a short drive. These cars are Ford's best kept secret. Performance is excellent, while still maintaining surprisingly good fuel economy driving 55 mph and keeping a light foot. I would have never given the Crown Victoria a second thought if it weren't for that one test drive. My car is a retired detective car, so I don't have the holes in the roof, or sliced up bumper of the push bar. I paid $3950 for mine, and only needed to buy tires. The car has been flawless since the day I drove it home.

Favorite Features

Value for the price. V8 power with V6 fuel economy. Yes, watching the reactions of paranoid drivers, and I think an officer cut me a BIG break on the way home from work late one night because of this car.

Suggested Improvements

More supportive seats. Better quality interior plastics.