Used 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

LUV MY '98 VICKY
By sally5266

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

I luv my CV, bought it new in 98 and have had so little trouble with it except for batteries / tires. but since 2009 the check engine keeps coming on. i have a great mechanic but i just picked car up from a week at mechanic and the check engine lite came on an hour after we left. i hardly drive the car but in the heat in TX id rather not ride the bus. Ford has GREAT! a/c!!! i wanted a car w/ that was cheap to fix if any problems and i got the most comfy driving car ever! I really wish Ford would remake the CV b/c for large ppl or just a comfy ride this is the car! :) Ive been in a few scraps so car not perf on outside but I only have 70,000 miles on the car.

Its a Crown Victoria, enough said.
By p71pride

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

Mine is an ex-state police car. Served about 100k miles as a patrol car. I am the third owner and got it last fall with 172,000 on the clock. Now has 178k and she will still crank when you lay on the go pedal. Averages about 18 mpg, never left me stranded. Only had to put $170 and 10 minutes of work into it (Idle Air Control valve went, no biggie). Love the scream of the 4.6, factory dual exhaust is awesome. You will get a lot of unwanted attention in a police car though, so keep that in mind (gets old sometimes). They are the only cars that could survive 100k+ of police use then go another 100k easily with basic maintenance. Its no wonder the police have used them for over 20 years.

V8 power that screams at high rpms, heavy-duty parts, unmatched reliability, good confident looks, bare-bones interior with no extras to break and no frills to get in the way, daul-exhaust with resonator delete, 135 mph limiter (capable of 150+ mph) until 2006 model year.

Wouldnt mind seeing some more power. That said, its got PLENTY for just tooling around and daily driving; trust me these things are rockets on the highway, almost a garunteed smile. However for thier intended police use, the 230 horse (250 from 2004+ model years) is a little low. Other than that, nothing really. Ford got it right, thats why they havent changed the body style since 98.

Best Car I have Ever Owned
By fordltd

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I have ever owned I would say my 98 Vicky is the best and most reliable. I now have 140,000 miles on it and she is still running strong. A few years ago I changed it from a single exhaust to duals, and I changed the shocks and springs from the standard to the severe duty police shocks and springs, so the beast handles better on the roads and around corners. Also the dual exhaust adds a few extra horses giving it more power. It's a shame that Ford is discontinuing the CV's at the end of 2011. I wish they would reconsider and keep making them.

Body on frame, V8 engine, rear wheel drive. Cheap and easy car to drive and maintain.

I wish Ford would not discontinue them in 2011. They should redesign them, and improve the fuel economy. Keep the CV a rear drive, body on frame, but just freshen up the body and interior.

1998 Crown Vic LX with 212,000 Miles
By Damiano from Buffalo

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very well made car. I have owned this car for 7 years. Previous owner was an older man who only put 52,000 miles on it. I put an additional 160,000 Miles on it since. I will keep it for another year, and will bring it to about 245k. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned, and along with the Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis is the Most Reliable North American Made Vehicle.

Reliability, V8 Power and Performance, Comfort, Size/Space-for driver and front passenger, Very Large Trunk, Rear Wheel Drive-giving it great performance and handling in good weather, Leather, Climate Control, Dual Power Seats, Keypad Door Combination Lock, and the Auto Dimming Mirror.

They came in 2003 with the addition of rack & pinion steering, and an upgraded suspension, and in 2002 when they got rid of the all plastic intake manifold which cracked on many Crown Vics, Town Cars, Grand Marquis, and Mustangs from 1996-2001. The rest are mute, this car is now only sold to Fleets!

luxury at economy car price
By jscheide

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I picked this up at a local auto auction for $800 3 months ago to replace my 2000 Grand Marquis I wrecked. It has the hard to find performance and handling package which is great, it is quick, handles great yet is still comfortable for long trips. Also can hook my boat up fill the car up with cargo and people and the air suspension levels itself out. These cars cost next to nothing too pick up used and keep on the road. 25mpg highway is not bad

6 passenger seating, Rear Drive, V8

Install engine and transmission out of a 2005 or newer mustang GT. Gas tank is not under the trunk as one previous review stated, it is mounted vertically in front of the trunk, The reason some police cars exploded is that they had guns mounted lengthwise in the trunk that punctured the tank