1998 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
LUV MY '98 VICKY
By sally5266 on 08/08/14 16:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I luv my CV, bought it new in 98 and have had so little trouble with it except for batteries / tires. but since 2009 the check engine keeps coming on. i have a great mechanic but i just picked car up from a week at mechanic and the check engine lite came on an hour after we left. i hardly drive the car but in the heat in TX id rather not ride the bus. Ford has GREAT! a/c!!! i wanted a car w/ that was cheap to fix if any problems and i got the most comfy driving car ever! I really wish Ford would remake the CV b/c for large ppl or just a comfy ride this is the car! :) Ive been in a few scraps so car not perf on outside but I only have 70,000 miles on the car.

Its a Crown Victoria, enough said.
By p71pride on 07/09/11 11:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Mine is an ex-state police car. Served about 100k miles as a patrol car. I am the third owner and got it last fall with 172,000 on the clock. Now has 178k and she will still crank when you lay on the go pedal. Averages about 18 mpg, never left me stranded. Only had to put $170 and 10 minutes of work into it (Idle Air Control valve went, no biggie). Love the scream of the 4.6, factory dual exhaust is awesome. You will get a lot of unwanted attention in a police car though, so keep that in mind (gets old sometimes). They are the only cars that could survive 100k+ of police use then go another 100k easily with basic maintenance. Its no wonder the police have used them for over 20 years.

Best Car I have Ever Owned
By fordltd on 08/08/10 20:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I have ever owned I would say my 98 Vicky is the best and most reliable. I now have 140,000 miles on it and she is still running strong. A few years ago I changed it from a single exhaust to duals, and I changed the shocks and springs from the standard to the severe duty police shocks and springs, so the beast handles better on the roads and around corners. Also the dual exhaust adds a few extra horses giving it more power. It's a shame that Ford is discontinuing the CV's at the end of 2011. I wish they would reconsider and keep making them.

Better MPG Than advertised
By Used Cars Only on 04/07/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Crown Victoria from my company's fleet dept. The headliner needed repair, I put 4 new Michelins on it, 4 new shocks and replaced the seal in the rear diff. After a couple of fuel treatments, it was ready to go and started with 150,000 miles on it. The mpg on the highway was 24 mpg and city was 22.4 mpg! I use regular gas, drive pretty consistently and a lot of it on the highway. Most of the reviews say highway is about 18 but I have measured every tank and I am getting just under 25 miles per gallon highway. The car is quiet, responsive and has a clean car fax. The engine is strong and I oil changes every 3k miles but 6k miles on my Toyota.I will buy a new Vic from Ford.

Ford's best kept secret
By Wolfman on 04/30/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Interceptor after taking my father's 97 for a short drive. These cars are Ford's best kept secret. Performance is excellent, while still maintaining surprisingly good fuel economy driving 55 mph and keeping a light foot. I would have never given the Crown Victoria a second thought if it weren't for that one test drive. My car is a retired detective car, so I don't have the holes in the roof, or sliced up bumper of the push bar. I paid $3950 for mine, and only needed to buy tires. The car has been flawless since the day I drove it home.

Crown Vic = Best Ever!
By Charles on 05/02/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

The Crown Vic rides like a dream and holds up like nothing. With good maintenance transmissions even last 100,000 K. This is unheard of in police vehicles. Excellent vehicle, excellent price, it truly is the "benchmark" that police vehicles are built to compete with.

Crown Vic Police Interceptor
By WIREDAWG on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Excellent vehicle. Fun to drive and gets many looks. On gas tank recall issue, remember that only 7 out of 800,000 police cars have blown up. All hit from behind while stopped by cars traveling 70+ mph. They are stopped on the side of the road alot more than I am. Also, this car has one of the best 50mph rear-end collision ratings (the actual crash test they do). I love this car. It has explosive pep and passing power, good gas mileage, and lots of room for my 6'4" frame. Had one problem with a blowout (old cracked tires), and another with a relay feeding the radiator fan. No other problems and lots of trips.

Safety First
By PCallahan on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Except for a couple of initial problems that almost trigger the lemon law (although the car had a problem in the first month I believe the time to correct the problem reflects the quality of the dealership) I haven't had a problem with this vehicle. Steering boost is a little too high and doesn't provide good feedback to the driver.