1998 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
LUV MY '98 VICKY
By sally5266 on 08/08/14 16:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I luv my CV, bought it new in 98 and have had so little trouble with it except for batteries / tires. but since 2009 the check engine keeps coming on. i have a great mechanic but i just picked car up from a week at mechanic and the check engine lite came on an hour after we left. i hardly drive the car but in the heat in TX id rather not ride the bus. Ford has GREAT! a/c!!! i wanted a car w/ that was cheap to fix if any problems and i got the most comfy driving car ever! I really wish Ford would remake the CV b/c for large ppl or just a comfy ride this is the car! :) Ive been in a few scraps so car not perf on outside but I only have 70,000 miles on the car.

Its a Crown Victoria, enough said.
By p71pride on 07/09/11 11:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Mine is an ex-state police car. Served about 100k miles as a patrol car. I am the third owner and got it last fall with 172,000 on the clock. Now has 178k and she will still crank when you lay on the go pedal. Averages about 18 mpg, never left me stranded. Only had to put $170 and 10 minutes of work into it (Idle Air Control valve went, no biggie). Love the scream of the 4.6, factory dual exhaust is awesome. You will get a lot of unwanted attention in a police car though, so keep that in mind (gets old sometimes). They are the only cars that could survive 100k+ of police use then go another 100k easily with basic maintenance. Its no wonder the police have used them for over 20 years.

Best Car I have Ever Owned
By fordltd on 08/08/10 20:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I have ever owned I would say my 98 Vicky is the best and most reliable. I now have 140,000 miles on it and she is still running strong. A few years ago I changed it from a single exhaust to duals, and I changed the shocks and springs from the standard to the severe duty police shocks and springs, so the beast handles better on the roads and around corners. Also the dual exhaust adds a few extra horses giving it more power. It's a shame that Ford is discontinuing the CV's at the end of 2011. I wish they would reconsider and keep making them.

1998 Crown Vic LX with 212,000 Miles
By Damiano from Buffalo on 11/25/09 01:37 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very well made car. I have owned this car for 7 years. Previous owner was an older man who only put 52,000 miles on it. I put an additional 160,000 Miles on it since. I will keep it for another year, and will bring it to about 245k. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned, and along with the Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis is the Most Reliable North American Made Vehicle.

luxury at economy car price
By jscheide on 09/02/09 00:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I picked this up at a local auto auction for $800 3 months ago to replace my 2000 Grand Marquis I wrecked. It has the hard to find performance and handling package which is great, it is quick, handles great yet is still comfortable for long trips. Also can hook my boat up fill the car up with cargo and people and the air suspension levels itself out. These cars cost next to nothing too pick up used and keep on the road. 25mpg highway is not bad

Trouble
By Mike Kassey on 08/29/09 09:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Headlights 4th set-poor design no quality. Front end - to light for size of car. Wind noise. Poor seat comfort. Rugs & Mats cheap material. Trunk interior paint poor, peals off and leaks water. Shocks to light for the car. Radio a piece of junk. Sold with a governor set by computer at 90mph. Cost you $300 to change out the chip. Large car should come with positive track rear end.

No wonder the cops used these
By Matty on 05/24/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my police interceptor a half a month ago for ,get this, 500 bucks. So naturally for that price I thought it would be a lemon, NOPE!! This car is great! Good fuel mileage for the size of car, lots of legroom, and lots of pep with the 215 HP on tap. Overall great car,would definitely buy another one!

Better MPG Than advertised
By Used Cars Only on 04/07/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Crown Victoria from my company's fleet dept. The headliner needed repair, I put 4 new Michelins on it, 4 new shocks and replaced the seal in the rear diff. After a couple of fuel treatments, it was ready to go and started with 150,000 miles on it. The mpg on the highway was 24 mpg and city was 22.4 mpg! I use regular gas, drive pretty consistently and a lot of it on the highway. Most of the reviews say highway is about 18 but I have measured every tank and I am getting just under 25 miles per gallon highway. The car is quiet, responsive and has a clean car fax. The engine is strong and I oil changes every 3k miles but 6k miles on my Toyota.I will buy a new Vic from Ford.

Great
By Dr. B. on 10/30/07 17:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I had never owned a large car before. I was shocked at the great gas mileage. It averages 24.8 miles per gallon. This is a mixture of city and highway. Man this is a smooth driving and low cost to maintain vehicle.

Built to last
By AmericanV8dude on 01/22/07 02:09 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 'Vic at 4 years old with 40k miles. Some laymen whine about lousy gas mileage but it's really not so bad when you consider how low the cost of maintenance is on this old school American cruiser. It handles like a dream and the V8 makes it a competitor on the highway. Somewhat awkward to drive on cramped city streets but that doesn't seem to bug the cops and cabbies much. I fully intend to buy another when mine finally dies, but at 90K she's still going strong. I pray Ford doesn't make the same mistake Chevy did and discontinue them.