Police Interceptor
By T Morgan on
1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan
I purchased my '97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor from an estate sale. It has 72,000 miles on it, never registered as a police car. It has all the heavy duty extras of a police car. On the road I get 24.5 MPG, great for a large car. I haven't had any problems with it until recently. The intake manifold is plastic composite material. It cracked and the engine began leaking anti-freeze. Costs me $1100 to fix. This hasn't been a recall yet. I found out it is a common problem with Crown Vics and Mustangs of this era. Who would have thought Ford would have used plastic composite in a place engine heat is terrific. I could write a book about people who thinks I'm a cop! They slow down.
Favorite Features
Both my wife and I think it's the most comfortable car we have ever ridden in. It has the leather seats with electric adjustments. The auto air/heat system is superb, never had a problem with it. Set it on 70 degrees and leave it. Gas mileage is superb for a large car. It handles excellent.
Suggested Improvements
Ford should have recalled these cars and replaced the plastic manifold intakes. The rear window defrost button is blocked by the steering wheel -- but this is a minor problem. Hope Ford never stops making them. We would buy another one right away, even though children grown and it's just two of us.