Used 1997 Ford Crown Victoria Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:

Best cars ever
By Coinneach

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven Crown Vics (and variants thereof) since I first got my license in 1987. There's a good reason for my loyalty: Vics do everything well. Take reasonable care of a Vic and it will last forever; abuse it and it'll still do 250K easily. My current Vic is a '97 with 140K and my friends don't believe she's that old - she still looks, drives, and smells like she's fresh from the factory. Summary: best cars ever.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, very comfortable, outstanding safety and reliability, and the legendary 4.6L V-8.

Suggested Improvements

Long reach to the stereo due to the wide cabin. Economy (17/25) could be better, but what do you expect from a 4,000 pound V-8?

97 Crown Victoria
By Pgodio1

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

These cars are built to last! You can beat them and they run forever. They last ten times longer than any civilian vehicle. I had a 94 CVPI that I sold with 250,000 miles on it. still running strong. The Crown vic is a beast, a bear in the winter!

Favorite Features

Big body style, smooth ride, get me from point A to B and back when I need it to. Great car!

Recalled a lot
By DJ

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2005 with only 89,000 miles on it. Shortly after buying it the passenger window stopped working, then the accelerator cable broke, the brake sensor broke, so the car wouldn't start, then the rear drivers window stopped working, the heating and air conditioning smells like mold, on fleet vehicles this was recalled and fixed for the 1997, the ball joints are loose, also been recalled on fleet vehicles, the seat belt clasp broke and the car has been recalled twice for a faulty cruise control, after getting it replaced my check engine light came on and I am now looking for a new car. This will be my last Ford, as they just don't make a good car anymore.

Favorite Features

Smooth feel when you drive.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that isn't going to fall apart and one that doesn't smell like mold.

200,000 still my favorite of all
By Bamawayne

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Our Crown Vic has been the most enjoyable automobile we have ever owned. The only thing that has been replaced was the plastic intake manifold. I took it to the shop last week to have the front end aligned, it had been 5 years since it had been to a mechanic, they told me there was nothing wrong with the suspension. It still has all the original parts, nothing has been changed. I have kept it serviced; oil changed every 5000 miles, 4 sets of brake shoes, transmission serviced 2 times, 2 sets of spark plugs, my wife has totaled her minivan and wants another Crown Vic.

Favorite Features

V8, full frame, rear wheel drive, reliable,

Police Interceptor
By T Morgan

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor from an estate sale. It has 72,000 miles on it, never registered as a police car. It has all the heavy duty extras of a police car. On the road I get 24.5 MPG, great for a large car. I haven't had any problems with it until recently. The intake manifold is plastic composite material. It cracked and the engine began leaking anti-freeze. Costs me $1100 to fix. This hasn't been a recall yet. I found out it is a common problem with Crown Vics and Mustangs of this era. Who would have thought Ford would have used plastic composite in a place engine heat is terrific. I could write a book about people who thinks I'm a cop! They slow down.

Favorite Features

Both my wife and I think it's the most comfortable car we have ever ridden in. It has the leather seats with electric adjustments. The auto air/heat system is superb, never had a problem with it. Set it on 70 degrees and leave it. Gas mileage is superb for a large car. It handles excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have recalled these cars and replaced the plastic manifold intakes. The rear window defrost button is blocked by the steering wheel -- but this is a minor problem. Hope Ford never stops making them. We would buy another one right away, even though children grown and it's just two of us.