1997 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
Best car ever
By Coinneach on 04/01/10 16:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Note the amount of miles I drive: in any other car, this much seat time would be intolerable. I've owned several Crown Vics: they're comfortable, reliable, and safer than anything else in the full-size class (ask me about the time I was rear-ended at extremely high speed during a blizzard). You can drive them like an old man if you wish, or you can put your foot down and fling them around with abandon. I've brought 3 very large friends along on road trips, and none of them had a single complaint about the car.

best car ever!
By pespan1427 on 12/16/09 21:20 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

It's the most fun driving experience with plenty of v8 power. I can't believe it's only 190 hp! Smooth driving, comfortable leather seats. I like how the dash board is all digital. Now I need to put a cd player that can match the green lighting. I bought it used with 84,000 miles. And it's still smell new!

wedgewood masterpiece
By paul cardin on 07/13/09 05:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

its been 6 years since i purchased the car, what a great car ,no problems.ford did an awesome job on this one. 110,000miles.this is definately a keeper! buy one!

Best cars ever
By Coinneach on 02/06/09 13:31 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven Crown Vics (and variants thereof) since I first got my license in 1987. There's a good reason for my loyalty: Vics do everything well. Take reasonable care of a Vic and it will last forever; abuse it and it'll still do 250K easily. My current Vic is a '97 with 140K and my friends don't believe she's that old - she still looks, drives, and smells like she's fresh from the factory. Summary: best cars ever.

Recalled a lot
By DJ on 06/03/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2005 with only 89,000 miles on it. Shortly after buying it the passenger window stopped working, then the accelerator cable broke, the brake sensor broke, so the car wouldn't start, then the rear drivers window stopped working, the heating and air conditioning smells like mold, on fleet vehicles this was recalled and fixed for the 1997, the ball joints are loose, also been recalled on fleet vehicles, the seat belt clasp broke and the car has been recalled twice for a faulty cruise control, after getting it replaced my check engine light came on and I am now looking for a new car. This will be my last Ford, as they just don't make a good car anymore.

200,000 still my favorite of all
By Bamawayne on 08/30/07 08:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Our Crown Vic has been the most enjoyable automobile we have ever owned. The only thing that has been replaced was the plastic intake manifold. I took it to the shop last week to have the front end aligned, it had been 5 years since it had been to a mechanic, they told me there was nothing wrong with the suspension. It still has all the original parts, nothing has been changed. I have kept it serviced; oil changed every 5000 miles, 4 sets of brake shoes, transmission serviced 2 times, 2 sets of spark plugs, my wife has totaled her minivan and wants another Crown Vic.

Police Interceptor
By T Morgan on 11/18/05 00:39 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor from an estate sale. It has 72,000 miles on it, never registered as a police car. It has all the heavy duty extras of a police car. On the road I get 24.5 MPG, great for a large car. I haven't had any problems with it until recently. The intake manifold is plastic composite material. It cracked and the engine began leaking anti-freeze. Costs me $1100 to fix. This hasn't been a recall yet. I found out it is a common problem with Crown Vics and Mustangs of this era. Who would have thought Ford would have used plastic composite in a place engine heat is terrific. I could write a book about people who thinks I'm a cop! They slow down.

One of the Best Crown Victorias
By Henry C. on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Vic a year ago and have loved every minute of it. It is the Last year of that body style and it has the New Crown Voctoria Interior design. Lovin' it! It gets up and goes without hesitation and brakes on a dime.

97 Crown Vic
By panther on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Have 186,000 beat the snot out of it miles...original owner. 10% on bad dirt roads. Regular 3000 mile oil changes and tires rotations. Only replaced the intake manifold, defect, likely...a vaor line that wore on the frame, door latch and brakes (many, but easy and cheap). Also have a fuel leak I have to find from tank area, but guessing I will get another 10-40k out of it. Seems to have at least 90% of as new performance. Have a 95 Grand Marquis with 85k (also bought new)...so it's just getting broken in. Incredible vehicle.

Hanover Ford
By Dick Wolan on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a used vehicle and 2001 (four years old) and was very surprised at the quiet and comfortable ride. It is a pleasure to drive this vehicle. I was looking for an SUV originally but after test-driving this car my search was over. I paid $11,977 in August of 2001 for a 1997 model year car! Was I crazy? A friend told me I should be able to get 150,000 miles from this vehicle. I currently have 103,000 miles on this car.