1997 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
1997 Crown Vic 141k Miles
By plymouthfury58 on 03/21/11 23:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 months ago for $1400 from an exchange student. The lack of maintenance from the previous owner caused the radiator to fail, the transmission to slip and the engine to overheat. Hit a curb at 50 mph going down a hill, no damage from either at all. Drove to the shop just fine. Cost $450 to do all of the neglected maintenance at one. No permanent damage. A true testament to it's durability. The intake manifold needed replacement. Last owner took care of that. Even when in disrepair, it ran smoothly and beautifully. Steering is tricky and jittery but not too bad. Fuel efficiency is not fantastic but can be improved and is an even tradeoff for the safety and durability.

Solid Choice
By yankeev8 on 03/17/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Its a solid, dependable and comfortable car. Bought it from my aunt and have had no problems. Surprisingly good fuel economy, I easily average between 22-25 mpg driving with a bit of a heavy foot. Power is good as well, has no problem passing and gets up to speed quickly. Transmission shifts smoothly and down the highway the car is quiet aside from some minor wind noise from the back driver's side window. Has an absoluely huge drunk and lots of interior space. A very easy car to drive but one that you can have a bit of fun with too.

Not aging gracefully
By Mark on 02/23/10 09:35 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Granted, it's an older car but you shouldn't have to replace the intake manifold for $1000 because it is made of a cheap material. Why did fleet cars get warranty coverage on this and personal owners didn't? Headliner is falling down, ball joints were shot, plastic door handle snapped off, plastic cover fell from above onto the driver's feet. Now we have a leak somewhere causing the floor to be swamped with every rain. Overall, mechanically pretty sound but body interior and exterior quality is very poor. Especially for a luxury car. Ford was really milking this cash cow when they sold this junker in 1997.

Getrdone!!
By CROWNVICKY! on 01/04/10 18:21 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

You better hop on down to your nearest crown vic seller and anti up that money!!!! This is a great car and reliability? whoa!!! Shucho' mouth!!! Bustin' in at 238000 miles and purring like a wild kitty purrin'!!! Getchu 1!

one fun squad car
By gene cole on 12/10/09 13:08 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought th car with 292,000 miles on it from a sheriffs office I'm northern Minnesota and shes a lot of fun. Ive got 300,000 on it now and she still moves like a brand new squad car. I'm very happy with it and now my girlfriend wants one too since she drove it and saw how much people slow down and get scared when you speed up on there back bumper. Parts are cheap but I've done more upgrades than repairs. The neat thing is that the cops think im a cop and they don't pull me over for speeding. I passed a mhp trooper at 70 in a 55 and all he did was wave as we crossed paths. I'm keepin my squad. No its not for sale and no you cant use it. I'm having way too much fun. I will buy more of them soon.

great car
By dextertharp on 07/13/09 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

My crown vic was givin to me by my dad in 2006 or 07 it almost as 200000 miles on it and still running like it was bran new. it handles really great driving it is so smooth and when it shifts you cant feel it it gets about 20 to 25 miles to a gallon

97 Crown Victoria
By Pgodio1 on 11/30/08 20:09 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

These cars are built to last! You can beat them and they run forever. They last ten times longer than any civilian vehicle. I had a 94 CVPI that I sold with 250,000 miles on it. still running strong. The Crown vic is a beast, a bear in the winter!

97 Police Package
By drberetta on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

This car is great. Fast, roomy, reliable and comfortable. The police seats are super supportive. 115,000 miles and still plenty of power when you need it. Heavy duty suspension that still gives a comfortable quiet ride. I highly recommend picking on up.

p71 police interceptor
By qunicy on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

this car is a heck of a lot of fun. if you can get a used police car get one.people wont tailgate you and give you plenty of room on the freeway.police package gives you heavy duty frame,oil and trans coolers, and heavy duty suspension. plus long life silicone hoses.the only drawback is the interior but when you can insert a lincoln ls leather interior.all is good

traded for another
By stickbow on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

My previous Crown Vic was 1992 with 175K, engine and transmission still good. But it needed tires and exhaust so I traded for 1997 Crown with 65K. These vehicles run strong for a long time, thousands of police forces can't be wrong. Great for long trips, comfortable, roomy, good V8 power, and gets 26 mpg. My experience is every 50K change the spark plugs, plug wires, and thermostat, they are easy to get to, unlike most V6 engines.