1997 Ford Crown Victoria - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crown Victoria model:
1997 Crown Vic 141k Miles
By plymouthfury58 on 03/21/11 23:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 months ago for $1400 from an exchange student. The lack of maintenance from the previous owner caused the radiator to fail, the transmission to slip and the engine to overheat. Hit a curb at 50 mph going down a hill, no damage from either at all. Drove to the shop just fine. Cost $450 to do all of the neglected maintenance at one. No permanent damage. A true testament to it's durability. The intake manifold needed replacement. Last owner took care of that. Even when in disrepair, it ran smoothly and beautifully. Steering is tricky and jittery but not too bad. Fuel efficiency is not fantastic but can be improved and is an even tradeoff for the safety and durability.

Solid Choice
By yankeev8 on 03/17/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Its a solid, dependable and comfortable car. Bought it from my aunt and have had no problems. Surprisingly good fuel economy, I easily average between 22-25 mpg driving with a bit of a heavy foot. Power is good as well, has no problem passing and gets up to speed quickly. Transmission shifts smoothly and down the highway the car is quiet aside from some minor wind noise from the back driver's side window. Has an absoluely huge drunk and lots of interior space. A very easy car to drive but one that you can have a bit of fun with too.

Best car ever
By Coinneach on 04/01/10 16:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

Note the amount of miles I drive: in any other car, this much seat time would be intolerable. I've owned several Crown Vics: they're comfortable, reliable, and safer than anything else in the full-size class (ask me about the time I was rear-ended at extremely high speed during a blizzard). You can drive them like an old man if you wish, or you can put your foot down and fling them around with abandon. I've brought 3 very large friends along on road trips, and none of them had a single complaint about the car.

Not aging gracefully
By Mark on 02/23/10 09:35 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

Granted, it's an older car but you shouldn't have to replace the intake manifold for $1000 because it is made of a cheap material. Why did fleet cars get warranty coverage on this and personal owners didn't? Headliner is falling down, ball joints were shot, plastic door handle snapped off, plastic cover fell from above onto the driver's feet. Now we have a leak somewhere causing the floor to be swamped with every rain. Overall, mechanically pretty sound but body interior and exterior quality is very poor. Especially for a luxury car. Ford was really milking this cash cow when they sold this junker in 1997.

Getrdone!!
By CROWNVICKY! on 01/04/10 18:21 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

You better hop on down to your nearest crown vic seller and anti up that money!!!! This is a great car and reliability? whoa!!! Shucho' mouth!!! Bustin' in at 238000 miles and purring like a wild kitty purrin'!!! Getchu 1!

best car ever!
By pespan1427 on 12/16/09 21:20 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

It's the most fun driving experience with plenty of v8 power. I can't believe it's only 190 hp! Smooth driving, comfortable leather seats. I like how the dash board is all digital. Now I need to put a cd player that can match the green lighting. I bought it used with 84,000 miles. And it's still smell new!

one fun squad car
By gene cole on 12/10/09 13:08 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

I bought th car with 292,000 miles on it from a sheriffs office I'm northern Minnesota and shes a lot of fun. Ive got 300,000 on it now and she still moves like a brand new squad car. I'm very happy with it and now my girlfriend wants one too since she drove it and saw how much people slow down and get scared when you speed up on there back bumper. Parts are cheap but I've done more upgrades than repairs. The neat thing is that the cops think im a cop and they don't pull me over for speeding. I passed a mhp trooper at 70 in a 55 and all he did was wave as we crossed paths. I'm keepin my squad. No its not for sale and no you cant use it. I'm having way too much fun. I will buy more of them soon.

wedgewood masterpiece
By paul cardin on 07/13/09 05:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

its been 6 years since i purchased the car, what a great car ,no problems.ford did an awesome job on this one. 110,000miles.this is definately a keeper! buy one!

great car
By dextertharp on 07/13/09 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria 4dr Sedan

My crown vic was givin to me by my dad in 2006 or 07 it almost as 200000 miles on it and still running like it was bran new. it handles really great driving it is so smooth and when it shifts you cant feel it it gets about 20 to 25 miles to a gallon

Best cars ever
By Coinneach on 02/06/09 13:31 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven Crown Vics (and variants thereof) since I first got my license in 1987. There's a good reason for my loyalty: Vics do everything well. Take reasonable care of a Vic and it will last forever; abuse it and it'll still do 250K easily. My current Vic is a '97 with 140K and my friends don't believe she's that old - she still looks, drives, and smells like she's fresh from the factory. Summary: best cars ever.