2000 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
This has been a solidly reliable car
By Dave on 01/30/07 20:05 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has required only 2 minor repairs in 76,000 miles. We drive it daily and have taken a number of long trips with it. It handles well. It is a great size for driving in traffic and the visibility is good all around. It's not over-powered, but there are slower cars out there for the price. Too bad they stopped making this car --- I would buy another one.

I love this car
By aking1 on 01/14/07 21:53 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have driven many cars that were great, but none greater than this car. Even though this car is a 2000, and I have driven many recent cars, it is my favorite. It has a lot of interior room that I am able to play my guitar in it during lunch breaks. Besides my truck, this is my reliable vehicle.

Ford Contour
By Brian on 08/29/06 09:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My car just hit 60,000 miles and still running strong. Have not had to put any money into it other than routine maintenance. Gets pretty good gas mileage for a V6 with great power. Had some problems with the dashboard for awhile but was able to glue it back on. It's not afraid to be pushed around corners because of its great grip. Great car and power for the money that I paid.

A Ford so good I just bought a Toyota.
By JimP on 01/13/06 21:04 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

Having evolved from a European design the Contour has better handling than other American cars its size. Unfortunately they cheapened the quality for the US market. The car has been a major disappointment. The dash top curled up like cardboard. The gas mileage is terrible, never more than 21-22. The plastic gas tank warped and burned out the pump (repair cost $968). The speakers are the cheapest junk I ever saw. It's impossible to remove the oil filter without spilling oil on exhaust manifold. Rear drum brakes don't adjust reliably. Ford took what was an excellent car and turned it into another typical piece of American junk. Never again.

A great bargain commuter car
By arcin69 on 04/13/05 07:47 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I use it for commuting 190 miles a day. Extremely reliable. New brakes at 114,000 miles, timing belt at 100,000, fuel pump at 157,000. Only thing I replaced without wearing out was alternator at 44,000 miles.

One complaint
By arcin69 on 03/07/05 12:19 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Contour was a good car. Would have been great if they had trimmed it out the way it deserved. Needed more options and a nice interior. As a commuter car its been terrific. Going strong at 160,000 miles and still gets 31 mpg.

Still Going Strong
By ALS on 02/05/05 12:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This is an update of the review I wrote back in 2003. Since then I put another 50K on it and would expect to be close to 200K by year end. I'm talking HARD miles - over road, country roads, sub zero weather, construction sites, any abuse you can imagine. Only expense since last review - tires, brakes & oil changes. Now, as would expect of a car at this price level, with the service it's seen, It's virtually falling apart as I drive it (door handles, interior, power windows, trunk latch). But... It still gets up and goes every day, and I'm not afraid to go anywhere with it.

A good second car
By DaveM on 01/31/05 17:48 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This car is one of the few I've owned that I considered worth holding on to as a second car. By far the best value on the market for a V6 with manual, it gets > 30 mpg overall. It's still a pleasure to drive and has had no major problems - except, strangely enough, it needed a new fuel pump at 60K miles - same as reported by several other users. The after-market moonroof and optional CD/AM/FM system were worth getting.

Our Ford Contour
By Cat Lover on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

We have been very happy with our Contour. It has only needed normal upkeep and has had only one moderate problem caused by my daughter and her lack of experience in driving. It fits everyone in our family from my husband who is 6'2" to our daughter who is only 4'11".

Contour.. the under rated Sport Compact
By Guildpilot on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

Well, I must say that I have enjoyed my ownership if this car so far. I have the V6 and it's perfomance is great. Power when you need it w/ a nice growl.The handling is awesome.It stays glued to the road and is very predictable.Being a car nut and I have to say the Contour, especially in SE Sport trim has beat all within $3-4k of the price.I get great&unheard of fuel economy w/ it. I average 30-32 hwy & city combined.The worst thing that has happened w/ this car is the fuel pump went bad at 60k..They are WELL underpriced compared to the Cavaliers & Neons , Etc. out there.They don't have half the performance and comfort the Contour has.