2000 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
FORD FOUND ON ROAD DEAD LITERALLY!!!!!
By countourhater on 03/06/12 20:27 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

What bad things can I not say about this car. I bought this car for almost $10,000 in 2008 with only 86000 miles. Within a matter or weeks of buying this car my spark plug popped out of the engine. It didn't stop there. Less than a year later my head gasket blew 100miles away from my home and luckly drove back but ate gas up all the way home. I had 3 wheel bearings replace. The car died right in the middle of the road beccause the Transmission died while in Drive. The starter died. Fuel pump died in a parking lot. A hose deteriated and made the car stall out. This car has cost me an arm and a leg for the loan but mostly in the cost of repairs. All theses probs occured b4 car could reach 150K

Hated it!
By happygopink on 12/19/11 20:45 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour in July of 2001, it was a year old at the time. It was okay for the first few years, but just okay. Then, before I even finished paying it off, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Then, in December of 2011, it went out AGAIN. The thing had 91,000 miles on it. It shouldn't need a new transmission every 45,000 miles, if you ask me.

Chose some thing else
By dm18 on 10/12/11 18:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, it lasted 11 years. Fuel pump failed in weeks2. Second month, a small piece of debris smack the oil pan cracking the oil pan. (both common problems reported for this car at the time in user forums) year 1, the dash board pilled up in the summer heat. (another common issue) Year 6, the electric motors for the sun roof, left front door, right front door died and had to be replaced. Year 8, the padding in the seats became stiff. Dash board pilled again. year 11, 51,000 miles engine died 3,500 dollars repair.

Alot of problems with this car
By garyd6 on 08/18/11 18:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $5000 in March of 2006. Since then I have put $9,100 in maintenance and repairs. This car has been very problematic and I can't get rid of it. The condenser leaks. The A/C compressor leaks. The exhaust manifold gasket, timing cover gasket, valve cover gasket are all seeping or making noise. The car has $185,000 miles on it.

Awesome
By sals on 07/31/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My wife and I love this car. It won't die! Still starts every time with 280,000+ miles on her! Besides the normal maint. we've had to put a fuel pump on it at about 140,000. The way it's going I don't think 300,000 miles is too far from its future. American cars do last if you take care of em and do the preventative maint. like you should on every car.

Best car I've ever driven
By Daniel on 04/20/10 22:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 with 35,000 miles, now it has 79,000 and the only problem I've had was the fuel pump went out at 52,000 miles. Other than that only routine maintenance: oil changes, plugs, tires, etc. Now some parts are wearing, but the car is 10 yrs old so its expected. Great car I love it. Unfortunately somebody ran a red light and plowed the right side totaling the car. However it still drives and is reliable. I'm getting a 98 Contour but still plan to keep my 00 contour for backup.

Too many problems
By BradB on 03/03/09 19:22 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my SE Sport new in 2000. Performance-wise, it was a fun car: great handling, a reasonably powerful engine, excellent brakes and steering, good 5-spd. I could drive this car fast and whip it around corners with ease. For $15K, it was probably the best handling four door around at the time. However, the car had way too many quality problems: brake hoses cutting themselves, the A/C failing multiple times, strange sounds from the engine, the dashboard warping. I got tired of it-- basically every year I knew something was going to go wrong. This car had a lot of promise but Ford cut too many corners for me to recommend it.

2000 Ford Contour Sport
By GB on 12/24/07 05:08 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has incredible performance for the price. It's fast and handles great and is comfortable inside. Most fun car I've had since an 86 Mustang SVO. Drove it on a 2000 mile trip and it got 28 MPG as well. I'm surprised there is not more of an enthusisasts aftermarket for these.

A Good Bargain - It's a Trooper
By HW on 11/14/07 20:25 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

No huge problems with it. Looks like it will hit 200K in great shape! Worst was the cat converter needed replaced at 80K. New breaks at 90K. The car now has 120K and is fine (still 31mpg). Good deal if you figure under 2K for 8 years. I missed the dash recall and mine warped, but I glued it back down with industrial cement. Also I've been in two accidents with it (lost the front bumper, then the rear). The other cars in both accidents were totaled. Mine had very minimal "face" damage. The car seems pretty bombproof to me.

Just OK
By copychief on 02/28/07 08:32 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

We put very light miles on this car, and for that it's OK, but nothing more. It's uninspiring and feels like driving a tank, with a turning radius wider than the Titanic. The good acceleration comes at such a high MPG cost that it's not worth it. The interior feels incredibly cheap, even for a seven year-old $16,000 car. The blower fan is so loud you can't hear people in the back seat if it's higher than "2" ... and that's added to a lot of road & wind noise on the highway. Thankfully we have had no major problems with the car, but it's the niggling things, cheap interior and design quirks that will keep us away from any Ford product when we replace this car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »