1999 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
NICE CAR
By Dave Paris on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It is a nice car at a great price

TYPICAL FORD
By MC2775 on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The only good thing about this car is the V6 power. Other than that its a typical Ford, 7 alternators in the last three years, squeaky doors, faulty fan/ac switch, and terrible night vision with headlights. Its obviously a another cheap disposable car except for the good reliable V6 engine. I wont buy another Ford car ever again, a truck maybe.

Problem Car
By realmc on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour SE with the sport package thinking that it was going to last me a while. Unfortunately, the trunk developed a major leak which the dealership couldn't fix after 4 tries. The leak was so bad, mildew began appearing in the car and the metal parts inside the trunk began rusting. Ford Motor Co. was no help, the dealership had poor service, so I had to get my state attorney general's office involved. Sold the Contour within a year and took a huge hit on resale. Will not buy a new Ford again.

Great Car, Poor Reliability
By Love to Drive on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is our second Contour. Our first Contour was 2 years old when we bought it and found that it had some reliabiltiy problems. We loved the car so decided to buy a brand new Contour thinking that proper maintenance and care would eliminate the reliability problems. It didn't. Our new car has been in the shop many times since we bought it. The starter went out after 5 months, the engine blew at 22k miles, the dash warped, the emergency brake mechanism has had to be replaced, and the trunk developed a major leak that required 5 visits to the dealership to fix. Still, this car looks great and is a lot of fun to drive as a family car.

Good car for the $$$
By ContourDave on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 10 months now and haven't had any major problems. The dashboard has warped (covered under a recall) and the fan switch only works on the "high" setting. Will both be fixed soon. The dealer I bought it from also services it and is GREAT! Very customer oriented and accomodating.

No frills
By mom of twins on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this vehicle for 3 1/2 years. It is now being passed on to my twin 16 year-old twin daughters to drive. It has been great with gas mileage and has a sporty look my girls love. Ignition key sticks without turning occassionally and the brakes are always crunchy despite repeated service. Classmate of daughters was recently killed driving a Contour on a suburban side street. The car split in two pieces- safety is a major concern.

Buy One! I did!
By tom02 on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great Value. Looks runs great.

Safety Matters Most
By jjmeans on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My wife was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended the vehicle that hit her was traveling between 40-45 MPH. My wife and two young children walked away. My only concern was that it is estimated she struck the vehicle in front of her at about 15-20 MPH causing severe front end damage and the airbags did not deploy.

Good Looks
By Kid on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The car is a fun little car to drive. It handles well looks goods. Only problem is that the engine could be a bit more punchy. So if you can get the SVT.

EXPENSIVE
By dawgut on 03/12/02 22:49 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Great spunk but has fallen apart. I had a faulty hood latch, it flew off on the express way at 70 MPH needed new hood, windshield and roof. $3000.00! Recently, replaced Ball Jonts $300. This week a new transmission, flywheel, starter, horn, another ball joint and bearings replaced. $3800.00. And all this is a result of someone that takes great pride in the upkeep and maintenance of there vehicle. Could you imagine if I didn't!