1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
99 Contour - heavy use
By Jinxo on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car intending it to be a heavy-use vehicle for a long daily commute. I have put well over 30000 miles per year on it. This car has stood up to the mileage in fine form while showing very little in the way of wear and tear. While not particularly flashy, the front seats are comfortable, the V6 performs well, and the reliability has been exceptional. The price was very reasonable and I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. I'm sorry that Ford decided to quit selling the Countour in the US. I would have bought another one. If you're looking for a good reliable vehicle to drive until the wheels fall off, you could do a lot worse.

good experience with ford vehicles
By cris on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

it's my 2nd ford. 1st was a 1994 escort wagon, 5-speed. i got it at 100K, drove it for another 40K, not a problem, except wear-and-tear stuff. the contour: i love its 6-cylinder engine + 5-speed transmission. it's alos sport tuned. i got it at 46k, now has 62k and did not have any major problems. my oppinion: if you drive and maintain them right, ford cars are OK for the price you pay. sure, honda and toyota are more reliable, but guess what: that's why you pay almost twice as much on a used japanese car. so before buying a used car, do your research and decide what you want: a more reliable car for a lot of money,or a ford for less.

for the money, not a bad choice
By dee par on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

First of all, there is this annoying "moosing" noise that the car makes which supposedly comes from the air intake. It's a horrible sound which causes the car to stall out at times. Also, my dash has warped to the point where it's peeled back so far that it almost touches the windshield. Lastly, when you try to accelerate hard with this car, it sort of "bogs down" before it catches and goes. When it does catch though, it goes like gang busters. Other than that, the car is great. It handles very well and I do find the car appealing to the eye. Oh, I almost forgot....... it's quite rough on the pavement.

Ford Cancelled it For a Reason
By Alan Nash on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The Contour has been a complete nightmare. My starter doesn't work, all three catalytic converters are faulty ($3,000). I was only 200 miles over the 70,000 emission warranty and the dealer refused to help. The gas mileage is 17.33 MPG, on the HIGHWAY!It produces a horrific smell during and after acceleration. It has alot of wind noise. The brakes are underpowered. It is uncomfortabable on highway trips. The transmisson slips and the speed sensor has gone out.Ford service is absurd. They will not help customers when there is a problem.I bought this car new and I would not recommend it to anyone, you get what you pay for.

Good for kid
By Teen on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Just got car from Grandparent and love it! Drives wonderfully (I have drove a BMW X5 Acura 2.3CL and Audi A6) and handles like a german car.) Very Sporty ride.

Most Comfort, Great Drive, ...only...
By jbreeze on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I never thought that I would ever buy a ford (being raised on Toyotas and Hondas). However, when I sat in this car, I was in love. Hands down the most comfortable to sit in car EVER! I love the power my 6cyl has, it feels sporty and Luxurious at the same time, BUT.. I hate the gas mileage and my trunk pop never works, even after being fixed. Still ... It's great!

Ford No More
By Brian O on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have spent $2600+ in repairs in 11 months outside of the regularly scheduled maintenace visits. Problems with transmission, radiator, alternator, distributor, rotors, brakes, bearings, tie-rods and axels and stereo components. I have practically had this car rebuilt at my own expense. I thought I got a great deal on a good car. I've had Fords before so I expected to do some maintenance but this car has proven to by an astonomical financial burden. If you're looking at a Contour, please allow me to recommend a Honda.

Fun to drive
By CarDude123 on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Thought the Honda was the bomb until I drove the Contour. I tryed to put the Contour into a "controlled-skid" at a midspeed (30-35 mph) with a very sharp turn, then darn thing wouldn't let go of the road. Tried it three times before giving up. The layout and instruments are easy to understand and utilize. The trunk is roomy. It is a blast to drive. Very low cost of ownership. I do my regular maintenace and have had no problems at all. Knock on wood. My first one was a 98 with 4 cyl. (plenty of power) and I upgraded to a 99 6 cyl to get more bells and whistles. Loved them both.

Do not buy this or any Ford Vehicle
By Don Smith on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

At 22 years of age I purchased my first new car, a Ford Contour. Since then I have had nothing but problems both with the car and dealing with Ford. A quick summary of problems with the car: constant wind noise on the front passenger door, water leaks into the trunk, air conditioner went after 1 year, rattling noise while accelerating, clogged catalytic converter causing my damage to my exhaust manifold. In addition, dealing with Ford and any Ford Service dealer that I have brought my car to has been a nightmare.

Stranded twice
By cardinalfan on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I love to drive this car and it handles well on the Autostadas here in Europe. Reliability is horrible, rear taillight had water in it after we puchased it which had to be replaced. The starter has gone out twice in 10 months. The first time it was only the starter, the second time it was the starter, flywheel and cables to the starter. The dash is peeling up and has not been fixed because dealerships here in Europe will not work on my car because it is American Specs. This is my last Ford and I have owned 2 other Ford trucks! Do not take an American made vehicle overseas if you can help it--It is more trouble than it is worth.