1999 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews 5

1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
it's ok
By mya on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

this car had 1500 miles on it when i bought it so was not very used i do not like the placements of the cupholder, the arm rest is often in the way of the backseat cup holder, if the armrest is down it cramps drivers space (and i am not very big, hard to imagine a larger person in this car)..handling is substandard on anything other than dry pavement, even with new tires, gas mileage poor for this size car..headlights always shift so that they are beaming upward, techs fix this as well couple times and problem cont. to happen, dashboard is warping ford service very very poor in my area, would never buy a ford again

Excellent - 4 years running
By Aric on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have read a lot of reviews about Contours; either people love them or hate them. Mine has been great - I love it. No problems to complain about. Sure the dashboard warped, whose didn't. The shop took care of it - problem solved. It is a great performer, very sporty, good gas mileage, all for a super price. I have over 60k in 4 years and nothing out of the ordinary has gone wrong. It is too bad they stopped making them. The Focus is inadequate as a replacement.

Always something
By JULIET on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car. I will never buy another ford. Flywheel was going 2 weeks after purchase. Took 2 years 5 times in shop before it was repaired. Blower switch went out/air intake system always has a problem/poor shocks/wind noise.. Something always. Dealership is does not care and same with ford. Dash board replaced and engine light is always on. Does not accelerate well when taking off almost causing accidents

Contour - Drivers Gem
By Nolie73 on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The Ford Contour is a Great Drivers car. With a V-6 & manual transmission it is extremly well balanced. They are very forgiving (neutral) if you go too fast into a corner. The 4-wheel disk brakes are very controllable,even without ABS (opt). My other car is a Corvette.. My motto "Its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".

Lemon
By mlosasso on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 400 miles on it. Two engines and $6,000 later, it is still (barley) going. My mechanic, as well as my independent research online, tell me that this car had serious issues and should have had recalls associated with the engine. In lieu of this, I plan to drive it as long as it will go to get my money's worth, if possible.

Love it when it's not in the shop.....
By Just OK on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

SE sport V6 with 5 spd transmission is an excellent drive for the price. Interior features have drove me nuts. Dashboard peeled and replaced twice, endless wind noise and continual rattles in the dash board. The original tires were Firestone Firehawks and were worthless on anything other than dry pavement. Replaced at 30k with Bridgestone Portenza's and significantly improved control and ride. I've enjoyed the car, but next time will spend the extra bucks for a higher class car with better fit and finish. Also, don't have any idea what the engineers were thinking about with the cup holders.

Great Value For Driving Fun
By El Cheapo on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Research indicates that the Contour is more reliable than your average American car, though it is still no Toyota or Honda. I am very pleased with the performance of this vehicle. The 2.5 liter V-6 doesn't provide neck snaping acceleration, but is quick. 0- 60 in 7.7 secs. The motor is smooth. Fuel economy is acceptable. The manual trasmission does it's job well. The car handles much like a BMW, which is to say very well. The build quality is only slightly above average. The Contour is cheap to buy, fun to drive, and modestly reliable. Too bad it has been discontinued. Overall, a fine car.

Americans don't get it
By Kennard on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This is one of the most popular cars in Europe, where gas is $4 a gallon, where you can drive at 100 mph, where sports cars were born. In America we like fat, floaty, bloated behemoths, giant pick- ups that never haul anything. Come on, all you people who have problems and then complain loudly about it have no conception of maintenance. Your 88 Chevy pick-up never needs its oil changed, except for maybe every 50,ooo miles or so huh ? That 350 just runs and runs doesn't it? Yea, at 7 mpg, and you don't have to change the oil cause it leaks, and the quart you add every week is basically self changing. The Contour was a great car, but we just didn't get it.

Smiles for Miles
By PSU48187 on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The only way to get closer to a BMW in terms of handling and engine power, is to just go out and buy one. One of the better cars I've owned, and I have a whole enthusiasts group that backs me there.

The Sage Continues
By Ctour Love on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Now I would expect Ford to make a poor car. It is somethimg that is expected of the horrific company. But I decided to try them because I would not want to hate them based on what others think. My Cat does not work,My ignition has just eaten my key, My Gas Mileage is horrible, My car rattles and it is impossible to carry on a conversation on the phone or otherwise while traveling, The car hesitates when I accelerate and has almost caused me to die twice while merging, The dash is warped, the oil pan has a leak,a nd Ford does not care. The makings of a poor company....Ford!