Used 1999 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Overall good car
By matt

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 84000 miles from buy here pay here. 5 weeks in, the seals blew out of the motor, but it had been sitting on the lot for a while. Since that repair it has ran like a champ. Very strong 2.0 5 spd man. Very surprising power and handling. Cupholders do stink. The dash is warped, and yes plastic pieces (ie air vents) do fall out. Trunk is big. I like the wraparound headlights. Gets about 24-28 city mpg and 34-38 hwy mpg. Since gas is priced so high this car is very economical. Very fun to drive too. I dont like the hubcaps though.

Quick little 2.0, handling, fun 5 spd man tranny, smooth ride.

More comfort in the front, stronger plastic interior parts.

NEVER AGAIN A FORD!!!
By Tom G

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have replaced: Head gasket, timing balance and serpentine belts,waterpump (TWICE),bucket seats,radio speakers,radio,wheels,repainted due to peeling clear coat, AND NONE OF THIS WAS DONE FOR FUN!ALL AT MY EXPENSE! 4cyl gets only 17mpg even after a MAJOR tune up! Now the key is stuck in the ignition! My dad said "Never buy a Ford." This is my TENTH (counting 3 Lincolns), I should have listened to Dad, all of them were LEMONS!

Body styling ONLY!

No suggestions required, they already scrapped the line, otherwise I had a suggestion as to where the designers could put it!

Its OK
By Rachel

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Sunroof motor went out right after Igot the car, brakes were bad, shocks are really bad, and it took 3 tries to get a good A/Ccompressor. Other than that it was a good first car

Pwer everything, keyless entry, V6 engine

Nt a lot of room for storage, like cds. the cup holders are 2 different sizes, if you put a can in the passenger side it falls on the slightest turn

I love the Contour
By Innocence32

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Contour, currenty I own the 1999 LX. My first contour was the 1996 GE. After I crashed my 1996 contour I did not want to own any other car but a Contour. I can honestly say that car saved my life. The 1999 is a better year than the 1996. Overall I have had no problems with my car and I just love her! I have owned this car for a few years now and bought it with about 50,000 miles. I have taken it on many road trips & have never had any problems. I drive about 100 miles round trip to work daily and get about 30MPG. I have 111,500 miles on the car and plan to replace the engine when the time comes. I would suggest to anyone who is intrested in buying a used car to get the Contour.

I love the look, the price, the crash test, comfort, gas mileage, and overall performance.

The only thing I can suggest is that Ford start making the Contour again.

junk on wheels
By giggles_16

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This has been the worst car I have ever seen. It has left me stranded about 3 times, and that is not good because I'm just a high school student. An important note - NEVER consider this kind of car for a beginning driver. It is way too undependable. We have had to replace the engine transmission, brakes, just about everything and there is still something wrong. The inside is falling apart, the windows are starting to go off-track, and one of the doors will not open anymore. It was a big mistake for me to choose to by this car. It might have been kinda cute but looks are definitely NOT everything.

It's sorta sporty looking. It is small enough for one or two people but definitely not a family car.

Everything - just take the whole car to the junk yard and never bring the Contour back again.