Used 1999 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Lovin' the ride
By smoothride

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought 4 years ago, wasn't looking to buy Ford, but found it, tried it and fell for the smooth, quiet ride. Love the way it picked up speed. Front seating very comfortable, back seating fairly good, little tight for long legs. Love the V6 except for gas mileage 20-22 city, 25 hwy. Been an excellent family vehicle. Lots of room in truck, love the sun/moon roof. Air cond. great, heater takes forever to warm but great once heated. Doors ice over very easily, dash is peeling up and back, cup holders are bad. Even stood up well to hitting a 200 + pound deer, damaged only hood, grill, and headlights. Oxygen sensor needed a good cleaning around 105k miles, very common among Fords.

Favorite Features

Love the ride, power, handling and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater, cupholders, and keep the dash from peeling up. Bring back the Contour!!!

1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan
By Marshall

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 2001 and despite it not being the best looking car on the road, it has been a great car and I can't justify replacing it. Since purchase I have only put about $1200 into it which are thing I consider normal replacements (timing belt and front control arms) after nearly 10 years. One thing I would like to note is that after 118000 miles, my last fill up I averaged 30.73 miles per gallon. I consider this excellent considering the mileage on the car and the fact that I usually drive between 70 and 75 on the highway. Overall, this has been a great car. Not a chick magnet but a darn good car worth keeping.

Favorite Features

Average fuel economy has been great at nearly 30mpg at every fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should reintroduce this car with up to date exterior styling and a better interior.

99 Ford Contour se comfort sport
By Snowman

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Well for what I can say is that its only a good car for a few years but after 100,000 miles you better just hang it up problem after problems and it drives and performs at a milaseconds and havent drove any other ford better but the enignes fail badley after 100,000 miles and the transmission begins to have major problems only after 80,000 miles and that in my book is very poorly and I think ford should replace the engines and transmission including the malfunctioning computer systems at fords cost because why should we pay 15 to 20000 dollars for a car that wont last for more than 115000 miles when the car has always been worked on by a pro and then having to another 8 grand to fix it.

Favorite Features

Its very comfortable with the leather seats and looks great

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the transmission problems and the cup holders also improve the work men ship of the engine and the transmission make it with at least 40 miles to the gallon and with better options with way more less problems by making all of your costumers very happy at every thing you sell .

150000+ miles and still running!
By Res

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Car has been great so far. Replaced timing belt twice. Replace more parts other than the timing belt such as idler pulley, and you will not have the same problem. Other than that, front end suspension parts have been replaced as rust and worn out busings have taken their toll. If I am lucky, the car will rust out before the car mechanically dies (Here's hoping!)

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

I am on my 3rd oil dipstick. What's with that?

Great Value Even Greater Fun!!!!
By FatBoyAYA

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 LX with 22,000 miles on the clock in 2002. Been drving it as daily commute since then, and the odometer now reads 240,000 miles. Sporty handling, solid platform and a preppy engine makes this car a breeze to drive. Never once breaks down for the past 7 years, and maintenance limited to regular oil change, couple burnt headlamps, a few sets of new tires and replacing the timing belt once. Will definitely buy another Contour in the future. The Contour was named Mondeo everywhere else in the world, and the Ford Fusion in the States is actually the new Mondeo outside N America. That's definitely going to be my next car of choice.

Favorite Features

European handling, values, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better sound-proofing (not that it's being noisy)