1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Nice car but needed lots of work
By Tobei on 04/27/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with 14,000 miles on it. I liked the car for the most part, but I had to stick a lot of money into new springs and struts for both the front (70,000 miles) and rear (105,000). This was a factory problem (springs were made too short and a common problem), but Ford refused to cover the cost on my car because not enough people reported this problem from the factory where mine was built. Also paid a lot to replace a seal on the gas tank (70,000 miles..another recall on cars from a different factory, but not mine). Recent transmission leak and oil leak. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled with Ford's service. Don't know if I'll buy another Ford.

Good Car?
By Gary on 02/10/09 11:55 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

We have been driving this car for almost 8 years. It has 220,000 miles on it, of which 185,000 we put on. The front rotors have been replaced twice, and a wiper clutch was replaced. Besides that just the standard belt, tires, light bulbs, etc. have been replaced. I commute 100 miles a day and have had no problems with its dependability.

It's a good solid Car.
By Imsassy on 12/30/08 08:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used. Drove it for 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. Sold it to my son as his first car. Now has 150,000 miles. Replaced the trans and timing belt. Its a great car for a first time driver. Maintenance is key, change the oil every 3months and monitor the fluids. It's not A piece of junk like others have said. It's a good solid car, and yes when the miles add up it will need repair, but show me a car with 150K on it that doesn't need repair.

Great Ford vehicle
By ozzie on 10/21/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased in Feb 2008 with 91,000 miles on it. Put in about $400 worth of work into her (oil change, power steering fluid, timing belt, fuel injection service, tranny oil change & fuel filter) Has run like I drove her off the lot brand spanking new! Now I know it's only been about 7 months but I can tell you that I am very happy with this very, very well built car. Great handling & packs a punch under the hood.

Great car, underrated
By JimmySmitty on 05/07/08 06:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The Contour is what's known as the Mondeo in the rest of the world. It was designed to be in the same area as cars such as the BMW 325i and Infinity G25. Its a great car and has more power than it seems. The SVT version is a very fast and powerful car and many people underestimate the Contour overall. Its a fun car and has never given me any major problems to date. I have owned a 1996 GL with the I4 ZeTec and currently have a 1999 SE with the 2.5 V6 Duratec. Both are awesome.

Contour was worth it.
By Duane on 04/28/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This Contour is the 4cyl SE. I bought it with 65k miles, and now have 147k. Only thing I have done to it is timing belt and change the timing pulleys (recomended by Ford) and oil changes. Just recently had to replace a suspension part for 30 bucks, but that is all. some repairs can be costly, but, with proper maintainence as mentioned, will be a good car. It handles great, (better than my Tbird) and gets good economy. The one problem- rocker panels are rusted out, but I lived in a dirt road/ salted roads area.

Doors Fall Off and Dash Peels
By Claire on 03/30/08 15:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a program car. The door hinges have a clip on top. When the clip corrodes, the door falls off. It happened to me, you can't buy a clip or clip and hinge pin. The dash plastic is peeling up. I am a slow and cautious driver and the transmission had to be rebuilt before 60k miles. The trunk leaked from the beginning and the doors alway freeze shut in bad weather. Sealed beam headlights won't stay sealed. I would not buy another one.

GOOD MILEAGE.....GOOD CAR?
By Tom on 02/04/08 09:05 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Even though I bought this car when it was 8 years old, I never imagined I would have so many problems. I have repaired every single item and component on this car INCLUDING the IGNITION SWITCH! Good car? NOT! Good mileage? Only if you consider 22 mpg good mileage for a small car with a 4cyl engine. Now the heater stopped working! Remember, at Ford, quality goes in before the name goes on! NOT! NEVER BUY A USED FORD, the new ones are bad enough! I have NEVER had anything but problems from Ford, regardless of the model, T-Bird and Lincoln inclussive.

Overall good car
By matt on 01/01/08 12:43 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 84000 miles from buy here pay here. 5 weeks in, the seals blew out of the motor, but it had been sitting on the lot for a while. Since that repair it has ran like a champ. Very strong 2.0 5 spd man. Very surprising power and handling. Cupholders do stink. The dash is warped, and yes plastic pieces (ie air vents) do fall out. Trunk is big. I like the wraparound headlights. Gets about 24-28 city mpg and 34-38 hwy mpg. Since gas is priced so high this car is very economical. Very fun to drive too. I dont like the hubcaps though.

NEVER AGAIN A FORD!!!
By Tom G on 10/08/07 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have replaced: Head gasket, timing balance and serpentine belts,waterpump (TWICE),bucket seats,radio speakers,radio,wheels,repainted due to peeling clear coat, AND NONE OF THIS WAS DONE FOR FUN!ALL AT MY EXPENSE! 4cyl gets only 17mpg even after a MAJOR tune up! Now the key is stuck in the ignition! My dad said "Never buy a Ford." This is my TENTH (counting 3 Lincolns), I should have listened to Dad, all of them were LEMONS!