Used 1999 Ford Contour LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

I will have a hard time parting with this Contour!
By incaleif

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I took on this contour when it had 196,000 miles. The seller fixed an exhaust problem. I replaced the upper outer ball joints, had the brakes redone with new fluid, did rear struts, changed the front wheel bearings, changed the transmission fluid, P/S fluid, drained and flushed the radiator, changed the valve cover gasket and I do oil changes every 3000 miles. I get 30 mpg. Just now I may be looking at changing the water pump and timing belt. But this car is worth it! It has 230,000 miles and still running strong.

fun car to have
By gooddriver250

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car too have it gets you to where you need to go. Few problems but nothing big. I have about 11,000 miles on it and it still drives like I just got it. I don`t cool in it but its a ride and it beats riding the bus every morning for school. Need to replace the muffler system but I been needing an excuse to get a louder muffler. Good car handles great and its the only car I will ever trust in the snow and rain. Thats big, but you got to remember its a FORD!

Favorite Features

Love the speakers in it there louder than what I thought they would be. handling and gas are great i get about 28 on highway and 19 on city.

Suggested Improvements

New radio.

Great Value Even Greater Fun!!!!
By FatBoyAYA

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 LX with 22,000 miles on the clock in 2002. Been drving it as daily commute since then, and the odometer now reads 240,000 miles. Sporty handling, solid platform and a preppy engine makes this car a breeze to drive. Never once breaks down for the past 7 years, and maintenance limited to regular oil change, couple burnt headlamps, a few sets of new tires and replacing the timing belt once. Will definitely buy another Contour in the future. The Contour was named Mondeo everywhere else in the world, and the Ford Fusion in the States is actually the new Mondeo outside N America. That's definitely going to be my next car of choice.

Favorite Features

European handling, values, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better sound-proofing (not that it's being noisy)

Nice car but needed lots of work
By Tobei

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with 14,000 miles on it. I liked the car for the most part, but I had to stick a lot of money into new springs and struts for both the front (70,000 miles) and rear (105,000). This was a factory problem (springs were made too short and a common problem), but Ford refused to cover the cost on my car because not enough people reported this problem from the factory where mine was built. Also paid a lot to replace a seal on the gas tank (70,000 miles..another recall on cars from a different factory, but not mine). Recent transmission leak and oil leak. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled with Ford's service. Don't know if I'll buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

When it ran, it ran good. About 30 mpg on the highway...20 in city.

Suggested Improvements

Pay for recalls for all the models no matter where they were put together. Needed more leg room in driver area.

It's a good solid Car.
By Imsassy

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used. Drove it for 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. Sold it to my son as his first car. Now has 150,000 miles. Replaced the trans and timing belt. Its a great car for a first time driver. Maintenance is key, change the oil every 3months and monitor the fluids. It's not A piece of junk like others have said. It's a good solid car, and yes when the miles add up it will need repair, but show me a car with 150K on it that doesn't need repair.

Favorite Features

Can get up to speed on a major highways quickly. Heat, access to fluids. Durablility.

Suggested Improvements

Radio wish it had a CD player.