Used 1999 Ford Contour SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

fun and mostly reliable
By Skye

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We got this car as a gift (yay!) with 62,000 miles on it and after 2.5 years it's now almost at the 100,000 mile mark. We had absolutely nothing wrong with it the first year other than burnt out blinker bulbs. In the last year, we had a broken timing belt (thank God the engine's non-interference!) and just repaired a leak in the brake line, which corroded the brake shoes with brake fluid. Whoops. We also had to replace the heater, but it was apparently still under warranty after 16 years. I agree with others that the cupholders suck--they're small and tucked under the console, but it's not a luxury edition, so I don't expect it to be fancy. The engine runs great, although unlike other posters I find it doesn't accelerate well on the highway. The transmission is great, it's fun to drive and easy to park, and it has character. I definitely want to keep it for years to come.

I really just love Oliver
By Colton

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have the Sport Model. It's green with 112k on it. It has the Suratec DOHC 24 valve 2.5L V6 and it is so awesome to drive! It gets okay mileage. But honestly the issues I've had are minor, and are from the previous owner not taking care of it. All I have left to replace is the O2 sensor. I really recommend this car. I'm 19 and this is my 4th car. And it's by far the most reliable I've had. And all my cars have been 2000 and newer. It will last me throughout college no doubt.

I hate this car
By brians925

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I hate this car every week there's a new problem. it would do good on gas if the O2 sensor didn't go along with the manifolds that need to be fixed. every other week the check engine light comes on as always. i have only had this car for about a week and im about to push it into a lake. this car is nothing but a money pit. and of course for all you guys will the warped dash o yea im with ya too although its not that notice able it makes the car seem like a p.o.s o wait it is. NEVER BUY A FORD or rich people that like to waste money.

i did like the performance but if you use it something decides to break

Just blow the contours up help us all

Nice car for the price
By Leo

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 2000. Sport SE V6, auto. 95,000 miles motor, transmission still strong, dash pad, rear brake proportioning valve replaced under recall-new pad better quality-still perfect, solenoid idle valve, air conditioning compressor bearing seal had very slow leak-compressor was replaced under extended warranty, sun roof motor intermittent-replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, front brake pads, new battery. Despite these problems this car is FUN. I flush the cooling system every two years and change the oil regular, its had 10 Minnesota winters and almost no rust still! Still has the original exhaust!

This car really handles-no vibrations, no steering or tire wear problems, no rattles/squeaks, cruise control, transmission flawless, Cruise at 70-80- 90-100 mph-it's real stable.

Ford has the right price-keep working on component quality.

Still going!
By rolienolie

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 and it had about 32,000 miles on it. It had previously been a rental car so I am sure it was driven hard those first miles. I have found this car to be extremely reliable. It is nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, new tires, oil changes, etc) I have replaced the timing belt, had the control arms replaced, and I had some issues with the check engine light but that is pretty good considering I have been driving this car for nearly 9 years! I also got rear-ended and opted not to get the bumper fixed and I just kept the money. I was hit at about 20 miles per hour and you barely see there is damage.

Pretty good gas mileage for an older car (about 28 mpg).

The dash board is peeling back and has some cracks in it from the sun. A higher quality dash would be nice. The headlights aren't very bright.