1999 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
I hate this car
By brians925 on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I hate this car every week there's a new problem. it would do good on gas if the O2 sensor didn't go along with the manifolds that need to be fixed. every other week the check engine light comes on as always. i have only had this car for about a week and im about to push it into a lake. this car is nothing but a money pit. and of course for all you guys will the warped dash o yea im with ya too although its not that notice able it makes the car seem like a p.o.s o wait it is. NEVER BUY A FORD or rich people that like to waste money.

Nice car for the price
By Leo on 05/29/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 2000. Sport SE V6, auto. 95,000 miles motor, transmission still strong, dash pad, rear brake proportioning valve replaced under recall-new pad better quality-still perfect, solenoid idle valve, air conditioning compressor bearing seal had very slow leak-compressor was replaced under extended warranty, sun roof motor intermittent-replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, front brake pads, new battery. Despite these problems this car is FUN. I flush the cooling system every two years and change the oil regular, its had 10 Minnesota winters and almost no rust still! Still has the original exhaust!

Still going!
By rolienolie on 02/10/10 11:04 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 and it had about 32,000 miles on it. It had previously been a rental car so I am sure it was driven hard those first miles. I have found this car to be extremely reliable. It is nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, new tires, oil changes, etc) I have replaced the timing belt, had the control arms replaced, and I had some issues with the check engine light but that is pretty good considering I have been driving this car for nearly 9 years! I also got rear-ended and opted not to get the bumper fixed and I just kept the money. I was hit at about 20 miles per hour and you barely see there is damage.

Lovin' the ride
By smoothride on 01/16/10 15:50 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought 4 years ago, wasn't looking to buy Ford, but found it, tried it and fell for the smooth, quiet ride. Love the way it picked up speed. Front seating very comfortable, back seating fairly good, little tight for long legs. Love the V6 except for gas mileage 20-22 city, 25 hwy. Been an excellent family vehicle. Lots of room in truck, love the sun/moon roof. Air cond. great, heater takes forever to warm but great once heated. Doors ice over very easily, dash is peeling up and back, cup holders are bad. Even stood up well to hitting a 200 + pound deer, damaged only hood, grill, and headlights. Oxygen sensor needed a good cleaning around 105k miles, very common among Fords.

1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan
By Marshall on 10/04/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 2001 and despite it not being the best looking car on the road, it has been a great car and I can't justify replacing it. Since purchase I have only put about $1200 into it which are thing I consider normal replacements (timing belt and front control arms) after nearly 10 years. One thing I would like to note is that after 118000 miles, my last fill up I averaged 30.73 miles per gallon. I consider this excellent considering the mileage on the car and the fact that I usually drive between 70 and 75 on the highway. Overall, this has been a great car. Not a chick magnet but a darn good car worth keeping.

99 Ford Contour se comfort sport
By Snowman on 09/25/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Well for what I can say is that its only a good car for a few years but after 100,000 miles you better just hang it up problem after problems and it drives and performs at a milaseconds and havent drove any other ford better but the enignes fail badley after 100,000 miles and the transmission begins to have major problems only after 80,000 miles and that in my book is very poorly and I think ford should replace the engines and transmission including the malfunctioning computer systems at fords cost because why should we pay 15 to 20000 dollars for a car that wont last for more than 115000 miles when the car has always been worked on by a pro and then having to another 8 grand to fix it.

150000+ miles and still running!
By Res on 06/10/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Car has been great so far. Replaced timing belt twice. Replace more parts other than the timing belt such as idler pulley, and you will not have the same problem. Other than that, front end suspension parts have been replaced as rust and worn out busings have taken their toll. If I am lucky, the car will rust out before the car mechanically dies (Here's hoping!)

Good Car?
By Gary on 02/10/09 11:55 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We have been driving this car for almost 8 years. It has 220,000 miles on it, of which 185,000 we put on. The front rotors have been replaced twice, and a wiper clutch was replaced. Besides that just the standard belt, tires, light bulbs, etc. have been replaced. I commute 100 miles a day and have had no problems with its dependability.

Great Ford vehicle
By ozzie on 10/21/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased in Feb 2008 with 91,000 miles on it. Put in about $400 worth of work into her (oil change, power steering fluid, timing belt, fuel injection service, tranny oil change & fuel filter) Has run like I drove her off the lot brand spanking new! Now I know it's only been about 7 months but I can tell you that I am very happy with this very, very well built car. Great handling & packs a punch under the hood.

Great car, underrated
By JimmySmitty on 05/07/08 06:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The Contour is what's known as the Mondeo in the rest of the world. It was designed to be in the same area as cars such as the BMW 325i and Infinity G25. Its a great car and has more power than it seems. The SVT version is a very fast and powerful car and many people underestimate the Contour overall. Its a fun car and has never given me any major problems to date. I have owned a 1996 GL with the I4 ZeTec and currently have a 1999 SE with the 2.5 V6 Duratec. Both are awesome.