Used 1999 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

fun and mostly reliable
By Skye

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We got this car as a gift (yay!) with 62,000 miles on it and after 2.5 years it's now almost at the 100,000 mile mark. We had absolutely nothing wrong with it the first year other than burnt out blinker bulbs. In the last year, we had a broken timing belt (thank God the engine's non-interference!) and just repaired a leak in the brake line, which corroded the brake shoes with brake fluid. Whoops. We also had to replace the heater, but it was apparently still under warranty after 16 years. I agree with others that the cupholders suck--they're small and tucked under the console, but it's not a luxury edition, so I don't expect it to be fancy. The engine runs great, although unlike other posters I find it doesn't accelerate well on the highway. The transmission is great, it's fun to drive and easy to park, and it has character. I definitely want to keep it for years to come.

I really just love Oliver
By Colton

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have the Sport Model. It's green with 112k on it. It has the Suratec DOHC 24 valve 2.5L V6 and it is so awesome to drive! It gets okay mileage. But honestly the issues I've had are minor, and are from the previous owner not taking care of it. All I have left to replace is the O2 sensor. I really recommend this car. I'm 19 and this is my 4th car. And it's by far the most reliable I've had. And all my cars have been 2000 and newer. It will last me throughout college no doubt.

I will have a hard time parting with this Contour!
By incaleif

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I took on this contour when it had 196,000 miles. The seller fixed an exhaust problem. I replaced the upper outer ball joints, had the brakes redone with new fluid, did rear struts, changed the front wheel bearings, changed the transmission fluid, P/S fluid, drained and flushed the radiator, changed the valve cover gasket and I do oil changes every 3000 miles. I get 30 mpg. Just now I may be looking at changing the water pump and timing belt. But this car is worth it! It has 230,000 miles and still running strong.

fun car to have
By gooddriver250

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car too have it gets you to where you need to go. Few problems but nothing big. I have about 11,000 miles on it and it still drives like I just got it. I don`t cool in it but its a ride and it beats riding the bus every morning for school. Need to replace the muffler system but I been needing an excuse to get a louder muffler. Good car handles great and its the only car I will ever trust in the snow and rain. Thats big, but you got to remember its a FORD!

Love the speakers in it there louder than what I thought they would be. handling and gas are great i get about 28 on highway and 19 on city.

New radio.

I hate this car
By brians925

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I hate this car every week there's a new problem. it would do good on gas if the O2 sensor didn't go along with the manifolds that need to be fixed. every other week the check engine light comes on as always. i have only had this car for about a week and im about to push it into a lake. this car is nothing but a money pit. and of course for all you guys will the warped dash o yea im with ya too although its not that notice able it makes the car seem like a p.o.s o wait it is. NEVER BUY A FORD or rich people that like to waste money.

i did like the performance but if you use it something decides to break

Just blow the contours up help us all

• SUV