Used 1999 Ford Contour SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

I hate this car
By brians925

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I hate this car every week there's a new problem. it would do good on gas if the O2 sensor didn't go along with the manifolds that need to be fixed. every other week the check engine light comes on as always. i have only had this car for about a week and im about to push it into a lake. this car is nothing but a money pit. and of course for all you guys will the warped dash o yea im with ya too although its not that notice able it makes the car seem like a p.o.s o wait it is. NEVER BUY A FORD or rich people that like to waste money.

Favorite Features

i did like the performance but if you use it something decides to break

Suggested Improvements

Just blow the contours up help us all

Nice car for the price
By Leo

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 2000. Sport SE V6, auto. 95,000 miles motor, transmission still strong, dash pad, rear brake proportioning valve replaced under recall-new pad better quality-still perfect, solenoid idle valve, air conditioning compressor bearing seal had very slow leak-compressor was replaced under extended warranty, sun roof motor intermittent-replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, front brake pads, new battery. Despite these problems this car is FUN. I flush the cooling system every two years and change the oil regular, its had 10 Minnesota winters and almost no rust still! Still has the original exhaust!

Favorite Features

This car really handles-no vibrations, no steering or tire wear problems, no rattles/squeaks, cruise control, transmission flawless, Cruise at 70-80- 90-100 mph-it's real stable.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has the right price-keep working on component quality.

Still going!
By rolienolie

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2001 and it had about 32,000 miles on it. It had previously been a rental car so I am sure it was driven hard those first miles. I have found this car to be extremely reliable. It is nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, new tires, oil changes, etc) I have replaced the timing belt, had the control arms replaced, and I had some issues with the check engine light but that is pretty good considering I have been driving this car for nearly 9 years! I also got rear-ended and opted not to get the bumper fixed and I just kept the money. I was hit at about 20 miles per hour and you barely see there is damage.

Favorite Features

Pretty good gas mileage for an older car (about 28 mpg).

Suggested Improvements

The dash board is peeling back and has some cracks in it from the sun. A higher quality dash would be nice. The headlights aren't very bright.

Lovin' the ride
By smoothride

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought 4 years ago, wasn't looking to buy Ford, but found it, tried it and fell for the smooth, quiet ride. Love the way it picked up speed. Front seating very comfortable, back seating fairly good, little tight for long legs. Love the V6 except for gas mileage 20-22 city, 25 hwy. Been an excellent family vehicle. Lots of room in truck, love the sun/moon roof. Air cond. great, heater takes forever to warm but great once heated. Doors ice over very easily, dash is peeling up and back, cup holders are bad. Even stood up well to hitting a 200 + pound deer, damaged only hood, grill, and headlights. Oxygen sensor needed a good cleaning around 105k miles, very common among Fords.

Favorite Features

Love the ride, power, handling and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater, cupholders, and keep the dash from peeling up. Bring back the Contour!!!

1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan
By Marshall

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 2001 and despite it not being the best looking car on the road, it has been a great car and I can't justify replacing it. Since purchase I have only put about $1200 into it which are thing I consider normal replacements (timing belt and front control arms) after nearly 10 years. One thing I would like to note is that after 118000 miles, my last fill up I averaged 30.73 miles per gallon. I consider this excellent considering the mileage on the car and the fact that I usually drive between 70 and 75 on the highway. Overall, this has been a great car. Not a chick magnet but a darn good car worth keeping.

Favorite Features

Average fuel economy has been great at nearly 30mpg at every fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should reintroduce this car with up to date exterior styling and a better interior.