1999 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
I will have a hard time parting with this Contour!
By incaleif on 11/02/11 17:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I took on this contour when it had 196,000 miles. The seller fixed an exhaust problem. I replaced the upper outer ball joints, had the brakes redone with new fluid, did rear struts, changed the front wheel bearings, changed the transmission fluid, P/S fluid, drained and flushed the radiator, changed the valve cover gasket and I do oil changes every 3000 miles. I get 30 mpg. Just now I may be looking at changing the water pump and timing belt. But this car is worth it! It has 230,000 miles and still running strong.

fun car to have
By gooddriver250 on 01/14/11 21:04 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car too have it gets you to where you need to go. Few problems but nothing big. I have about 11,000 miles on it and it still drives like I just got it. I don`t cool in it but its a ride and it beats riding the bus every morning for school. Need to replace the muffler system but I been needing an excuse to get a louder muffler. Good car handles great and its the only car I will ever trust in the snow and rain. Thats big, but you got to remember its a FORD!

Great Value Even Greater Fun!!!!
By FatBoyAYA on 05/11/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 LX with 22,000 miles on the clock in 2002. Been drving it as daily commute since then, and the odometer now reads 240,000 miles. Sporty handling, solid platform and a preppy engine makes this car a breeze to drive. Never once breaks down for the past 7 years, and maintenance limited to regular oil change, couple burnt headlamps, a few sets of new tires and replacing the timing belt once. Will definitely buy another Contour in the future. The Contour was named Mondeo everywhere else in the world, and the Ford Fusion in the States is actually the new Mondeo outside N America. That's definitely going to be my next car of choice.

Nice car but needed lots of work
By Tobei on 04/27/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with 14,000 miles on it. I liked the car for the most part, but I had to stick a lot of money into new springs and struts for both the front (70,000 miles) and rear (105,000). This was a factory problem (springs were made too short and a common problem), but Ford refused to cover the cost on my car because not enough people reported this problem from the factory where mine was built. Also paid a lot to replace a seal on the gas tank (70,000 miles..another recall on cars from a different factory, but not mine). Recent transmission leak and oil leak. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled with Ford's service. Don't know if I'll buy another Ford.

It's a good solid Car.
By Imsassy on 12/30/08 08:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used. Drove it for 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. Sold it to my son as his first car. Now has 150,000 miles. Replaced the trans and timing belt. Its a great car for a first time driver. Maintenance is key, change the oil every 3months and monitor the fluids. It's not A piece of junk like others have said. It's a good solid car, and yes when the miles add up it will need repair, but show me a car with 150K on it that doesn't need repair.

GOOD MILEAGE.....GOOD CAR?
By Tom on 02/04/08 09:05 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Even though I bought this car when it was 8 years old, I never imagined I would have so many problems. I have repaired every single item and component on this car INCLUDING the IGNITION SWITCH! Good car? NOT! Good mileage? Only if you consider 22 mpg good mileage for a small car with a 4cyl engine. Now the heater stopped working! Remember, at Ford, quality goes in before the name goes on! NOT! NEVER BUY A USED FORD, the new ones are bad enough! I have NEVER had anything but problems from Ford, regardless of the model, T-Bird and Lincoln inclussive.

Overall good car
By matt on 01/01/08 12:43 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 84000 miles from buy here pay here. 5 weeks in, the seals blew out of the motor, but it had been sitting on the lot for a while. Since that repair it has ran like a champ. Very strong 2.0 5 spd man. Very surprising power and handling. Cupholders do stink. The dash is warped, and yes plastic pieces (ie air vents) do fall out. Trunk is big. I like the wraparound headlights. Gets about 24-28 city mpg and 34-38 hwy mpg. Since gas is priced so high this car is very economical. Very fun to drive too. I dont like the hubcaps though.

NEVER AGAIN A FORD!!!
By Tom G on 10/08/07 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I have replaced: Head gasket, timing balance and serpentine belts,waterpump (TWICE),bucket seats,radio speakers,radio,wheels,repainted due to peeling clear coat, AND NONE OF THIS WAS DONE FOR FUN!ALL AT MY EXPENSE! 4cyl gets only 17mpg even after a MAJOR tune up! Now the key is stuck in the ignition! My dad said "Never buy a Ford." This is my TENTH (counting 3 Lincolns), I should have listened to Dad, all of them were LEMONS!

I love the Contour
By Innocence32 on 07/04/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Contour, currenty I own the 1999 LX. My first contour was the 1996 GE. After I crashed my 1996 contour I did not want to own any other car but a Contour. I can honestly say that car saved my life. The 1999 is a better year than the 1996. Overall I have had no problems with my car and I just love her! I have owned this car for a few years now and bought it with about 50,000 miles. I have taken it on many road trips & have never had any problems. I drive about 100 miles round trip to work daily and get about 30MPG. I have 111,500 miles on the car and plan to replace the engine when the time comes. I would suggest to anyone who is intrested in buying a used car to get the Contour.

junk on wheels
By giggles_16 on 07/27/06 10:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This has been the worst car I have ever seen. It has left me stranded about 3 times, and that is not good because I'm just a high school student. An important note - NEVER consider this kind of car for a beginning driver. It is way too undependable. We have had to replace the engine transmission, brakes, just about everything and there is still something wrong. The inside is falling apart, the windows are starting to go off-track, and one of the doors will not open anymore. It was a big mistake for me to choose to by this car. It might have been kinda cute but looks are definitely NOT everything.