Used 1998 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Solid Ford Countour SE Coupe
By Mercy Casanova

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has proven to be solid and reliable. I've enjoyed it and have had minimal problems with it for the 6 years I've driven it.

It's fully loaded with power everything so that is my favorite thing.

It could look better on the outside as far as more attractive. I bought because it had won awards and seemed durable, rather than attractive.

The Money Pit!
By Mark Charlebois

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is an awesome car to drive, but is plagued with serious tranny problems between 70-80k, seriously considered dumping the vehicle. Rack and pinion is garbage, alternators, heat blower, various sensors, hard on tires and brake rotors. To top it all off, the value of the car is disappointing; it's a complete loss because the headaches and wallet aches are endless. Never again Ford!

Good handling and performance, good braking, comfortable car to drive.

Tranny, rack and pinion, typical problems listed above.

putt-putt
By niriana

1998 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Awesome first car. Easy and smooth driving. Not too old and not too new. Excellent for first time driver.

The sunroof.

The seats.

Taught Kids to Drive
By Marco

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Specifically purchased a Contour with 60K to teach my 2 teenagers how to drive. I'm tall and needed something with 4 doors. Not as pricey as other used cars of similar size, with 4 doors. Not too fast, but handles great. Both teenagers have licenses and have moved on to other vehicles. Sort of expected that one of them would wreck the car, so I didn't expect to own it for long. Have had it almost 3 years, and am pretty pleased. Get close to 30mpg in regular driving. Had to pay a bit to get the timing belt, gear, etc. replaced at 90K, but have just had maintenance (battery, brake pads) since. Wore out a set of tires in 40K, but expected as much with 2 teenagers pushing the envelope.

Best handling car I've ever had. Bland styling makes it invisible on the highway. (Only time I was stopped, the officer thought it was an Escort, and let me go!)

Better cupholders. Lighter in bad spot for cell phone charger.

Its not a Mustang but it comes close
By stratus rt30

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I'm a teenaged driver and i got the car from my father in 2003. Most teens want sports cars or street racers. But when i first saw the Contour i thought it was weak. Then i got into the Contour. This car is a Mustang in 4-door form. I love this car; it's got the performance yet it also has the utility. The car has only required routine maintainance. I know I'm a teen and I don't know cars too much . But I am a mechanic and my dad owns a dealership. If you keep the car in good shape this car will not disappoint

V6 engine, trunk space, sport look, 4 door comfort.

CD player would be nice; maybe a spoiler.