1998 Ford Contour Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1998 Contour Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Sort Reviews by

Ford Contour! Great CAR
By Bmccrani

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I've really enjoyed owning this car and I would highly recommend a Contour to anyone looking for a great car. It runs 24/7 and never looks back. I've had very minor repair issues after 64,000. I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

I like just about everything about this car. You might need just a bit more back seat leg room but other than that it's great

Suggested Improvements

Make the station wagon that's available in Europe available here in the States.

I'm thinkin' it rocks!
By RandallRaines

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I'm 17 and for me to be impressed says a lot. The 5-speed V-6 is sweet and I have yet to lose a light-to-light. It handles really well for a sedan and I can fit my guitar stuff and my skis in no problem plus a few friends. If you don't like it, buy a Cadillac, but for the money this is where it's at.

Favorite Features

Big trunk, FAST, good mileage (use good oil for 3-5 more mpg), It accelerates up hills that most cars would cry at. And it can take a beating.

Suggested Improvements

A real dome light and some useable cupholders. (There's a cupholder accesory from Ford for $27 that's pretty slick.)

basic contour
By hospitalmike

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

door locks terrible, all stick or don't open correctly; driver lock defective after 50k. replaced driver door open cable 2x after 60k. seat sliders stiff, hard to move forward & back.

Favorite Features

cheap transportation. Engine & brakes good.

Suggested Improvements

doorlocks, seat sliders,

Good car but too many minor troubles...
By cqbiho

1998 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I think this car is nice to drive. Good handling, acceleration and even abraking system. However, the reliability of this car is far from perfect. Normally, cars from Ford is in the same situation.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Interior and Finalizing of the car

Contour Owner
By Skittlzz17

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I just recently got the contour and so far i love the performance with it. The check engine light is on but not sure why. It does great on the highway and is very comfy!

Favorite Features

Seats are extremely comfy!

Suggested Improvements

well for one... why does the check engine light stay on with everything seems fine and it would help if the drivers door would unlock with out having to goto the passenger door to hit the unlock switch and then go around and open the drivers door.

Contour (Recallour)
By zx2

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Our contour is a gl v6 sport. This car is the king of recalls and is very unreliable. Check engine light is always comming on. Transmission shifts to abruptly. Sunroof most of the time does not work. Ride is to harsh and too much engine noise. Engine is always making growling sounds especially at low speeds. Duratech does not feel as powerful as its 170 hp rating. Paint scratches easily, flimsy car. Drinks alot of gas. Really glad they dont make this troublesome model anymore, think early 80's american car. If yours runs good you probably have a 4 cylinder or hardly drive.

Favorite Features

Styling, v6 power with auto is much better than 4 cylinder auto.

Suggested Improvements

Make it wider. Needs a five speed auto. Car is a good size and weight for a hybrid.

a love-hate relationship
By ContourMan

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 SE with the 2.5L six and the sport package. I love driving the car because of its steering response and handling, and I'm pretty satisfied with its power (everyone wants a faster 0-60 time, right?). Despite all of this, I can't forget that the tranny burned up at 30k miles. It didn't help matters that the dealer's service department misdiagnosed the problem as something else the first time I took it to them. I like my Contour, but I'm not sure I'll ever buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

steering, handling, acceleration, enough room to haul my small family around in, great price

Suggested Improvements

other than the transmission, I could do with a bit more legroom and cupholders that are not cupholders in name only

Fun to drive
By robh

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive ... 170hp and great handling. This car does not have a very snappy engine but when in the power band it pulls well. It also loves to be thrown into the corners. (had to replace a wheel bearing once). The exhaust is still original and I just replaced rear rotors and pads after 55 000 miles. The front disks still look Ok. Things I had problems with: Paint on hood crazing (dealer would not fix) wheel bearing (my fault) recalls air flow sensor a/c expansion valve

Favorite Features

170hp engine alloy wheels sleek look

Lots of zip; too many recalls
By Buckshot

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Contour Sport with 2.5liter, 175 hp is a poor man's sports car. Lots of zip when getting on the freeway. Gets up to 80 mph before you know it. Hey, Ford!!! What's with all the recalls????? I lost count at 12, and for really stupid stuff. Air conditioner accumulator rusted through at 45,000 and cost me plenty to cold air flowing again. Wife's car. It's getting traded in later this week for a new Jeep Wrangler.

Favorite Features

Good looks; handles great, great acceleration from dead stop or at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more leg room. I'm 6"2" and it gets a little tight.

I can drive for miles and miles......
By Ross69

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 65,000 square mile sales territory in the southwest and have had excellent service from this vehicle. It has no rattles or squeaks. It has never let me down, I change the oil every 3- 4,000 miles and it does not burn any oil. The timing belt ( give me a steel chain please) was replaced at 90,000 miles. The spark plugs have never been replaced. I have been looking for a replacement vehicle but am very reluctant to give up this reliable workhorse.

Favorite Features

The large trunk, driving position, armrest attached to the seat and engine scheduled maintenance /tune up periods.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are next to useless, placed dangerously low making it hard to drive and retreive a drink without placing all in jeopardy.