1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Ford Contour! Great CAR
By Bmccrani on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I've really enjoyed owning this car and I would highly recommend a Contour to anyone looking for a great car. It runs 24/7 and never looks back. I've had very minor repair issues after 64,000. I couldn't be happier.

I'm thinkin' it rocks!
By RandallRaines on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I'm 17 and for me to be impressed says a lot. The 5-speed V-6 is sweet and I have yet to lose a light-to-light. It handles really well for a sedan and I can fit my guitar stuff and my skis in no problem plus a few friends. If you don't like it, buy a Cadillac, but for the money this is where it's at.

basic contour
By hospitalmike on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

door locks terrible, all stick or don't open correctly; driver lock defective after 50k. replaced driver door open cable 2x after 60k. seat sliders stiff, hard to move forward & back.

Good car but too many minor troubles...
By cqbiho on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I think this car is nice to drive. Good handling, acceleration and even abraking system. However, the reliability of this car is far from perfect. Normally, cars from Ford is in the same situation.

Contour Owner
By Skittlzz17 on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I just recently got the contour and so far i love the performance with it. The check engine light is on but not sure why. It does great on the highway and is very comfy!

Contour (Recallour)
By zx2 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Our contour is a gl v6 sport. This car is the king of recalls and is very unreliable. Check engine light is always comming on. Transmission shifts to abruptly. Sunroof most of the time does not work. Ride is to harsh and too much engine noise. Engine is always making growling sounds especially at low speeds. Duratech does not feel as powerful as its 170 hp rating. Paint scratches easily, flimsy car. Drinks alot of gas. Really glad they dont make this troublesome model anymore, think early 80's american car. If yours runs good you probably have a 4 cylinder or hardly drive.

a love-hate relationship
By ContourMan on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 SE with the 2.5L six and the sport package. I love driving the car because of its steering response and handling, and I'm pretty satisfied with its power (everyone wants a faster 0-60 time, right?). Despite all of this, I can't forget that the tranny burned up at 30k miles. It didn't help matters that the dealer's service department misdiagnosed the problem as something else the first time I took it to them. I like my Contour, but I'm not sure I'll ever buy another Ford.

Fun to drive
By robh on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive ... 170hp and great handling. This car does not have a very snappy engine but when in the power band it pulls well. It also loves to be thrown into the corners. (had to replace a wheel bearing once). The exhaust is still original and I just replaced rear rotors and pads after 55 000 miles. The front disks still look Ok. Things I had problems with: Paint on hood crazing (dealer would not fix) wheel bearing (my fault) recalls air flow sensor a/c expansion valve

Lots of zip; too many recalls
By Buckshot on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Contour Sport with 2.5liter, 175 hp is a poor man's sports car. Lots of zip when getting on the freeway. Gets up to 80 mph before you know it. Hey, Ford!!! What's with all the recalls????? I lost count at 12, and for really stupid stuff. Air conditioner accumulator rusted through at 45,000 and cost me plenty to cold air flowing again. Wife's car. It's getting traded in later this week for a new Jeep Wrangler.

I can drive for miles and miles......
By Ross69 on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 65,000 square mile sales territory in the southwest and have had excellent service from this vehicle. It has no rattles or squeaks. It has never let me down, I change the oil every 3- 4,000 miles and it does not burn any oil. The timing belt ( give me a steel chain please) was replaced at 90,000 miles. The spark plugs have never been replaced. I have been looking for a replacement vehicle but am very reluctant to give up this reliable workhorse.