Used 1998 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Fun car but not reliable
By Julie

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour in 2002 because it was a great deal. I enjoy the V6 engine and the low end torque, but that's where the fun stops. The car has had so many problems over the years - if it weren't for my handy father, I would have sold it years ago. The major problem that the car had was that the wiring harness got fried because it was placed too close to the engine without heat protection so the wires overheated and fried. Then, shortly after that, the power windows stopped working and dad jerry-rigged the wires and now they work sporadically. The car has also recently started to "eat" oil and I need to put almost one quart of oil in every two weeks.

V6 performance, torque, color (red), front leg room, rear leg room, overall a good car that I'm sad to part with.

Reliability -- as a joint venture between VW and Ford, this was disastrous as they come -- the car basically broke down after 6 years and not even an experienced mechanic would even want to fix this car.

Been a Good lil Car!
By gluis55

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car since we had two kids, and the other car I had was a Beretta, (two door). We needed a 4 door. The car is quick, and comfortable. My wife loves driving the car. The only complaint is the oil leaks! When I first bought it it was leaking from what appeared to me was the front gear cover and oil pan. It wasn't too bad, now it is definitely getting worse. You can smell the oil burning on the exhaust when it leaks. So now it is time to fix it, but not sure I want to spend the $850 the dealer wants to repair. Car has 97k on it got it used with 62k. Have had no real problems with it. Just maintenance 26 mpg.

Quick and fun to drive. Comfortable for the kind of car it is.

Better design of engine placement. There is no room to do any maintenance! All Fords leak.

Get a good tow truck plan!
By CLAZ

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I originally leased this car for two years. I decided to buy the car because I had no problems up until that point. About two months afterwards, my transmission blew. 6 months later it was the engine and so on and so on. I ended up having to bring the car in for a minimum of $500 worth of repairs every 6 months like clockwork. Car had to be towed at least 10 times before I was finally able to get rid of it. Nobody ever really figured out the O2 sensor problem, electric problems,belt problems,etc. It's a shame because the car handled great after the repairs and it was very comfortable. Ford has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, they basically disown you after you leave the lot.

Driver and passenger seats were comfortable, car was very quiet and the sound system was great. The car handled very well when it wasn't broken.

When a car has 20 recalls or whatever it ended up being (i lost count) they should try to treat customers a little better and maybe offer a good deal for a different Ford product.

Love my Conto
By Teri13180

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Conto used and I love it. It is a 6 cylinder sport model. Have had some minor repair work done, but all and all I'm very happy with my purchase. I have taken it on several long road trips and have never had an issue. Very reliable, starts great in 30 below weather, and handles great on icy roads, which I encounter more than half of the year in Montana. Defroster could be a little better. I have had my engine light come on a few times, once was plugs needed changing, and the other times there was a miss when idling. My mechanic told me it happens with all sorts of different cars, just undo battery cables for 60 seconds and it resets. If thats my biggest problem, I'm good to go!

I love my spoiler, huge trunk, and tilt seats are great.

A better front defrost, more rear leg room.

Its all right
By rrice8755

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour 3 months ago and i runs pretty well but in the winter time it's a piece of junk. The VSS went out on me; that was only real big thing that went on me.

The look, leather seats, sun roof, great handling and pretty fast.

Wish it would run better in the winter and the check engine light comes on all the time.