1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Biggest piece of crap I ever owned
By Dani J on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

In 1 year I had to replace the onboard computer, replace the timing belt (miantenance), rebuild the transmission, and have had to replace the rotors 3 times. They can't fix a short it the electrical system. It has lost almost all of it's value, which has left me upside down in my loan.

good car
By Double0man on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since buying it new. No problems except the stupid engine light comes on, but that's a known bug. Just buy the cupholder option from ford to make the cupholders useful (~$15)

Love it
By Floci on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used 2 and a half years ago with 29000 km on it. Replaced right front wheel bearing and rear struts (they leaked). The strut problem was my fault, I've overloaded the trunk.Everything was fixed under warranty. The rest is only good stuff: handles like a dream, the V6 with the manual tranny is a great match, it has been very reliable and it is a great fun to drive. Sometimes I call it a poor men BMW.

Reviewing my Conto
By Teri Eklund on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

overall I really like my conto.

This is a great car
By bobintexas on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I hate to brag but Ford got it right with the Contour. Why on earth did they stop making it for that silly Focus? Contour is the perfect blend of sports car and sedan with an engine that hauls. The back seat could be a bit roomier but other than that, it's a wonderful call. I'm going to drive mine until the wheels fall off.

The best car I've owned so far
By Jim P. on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car despite the abuse we gave it.

Great Car
By Christina75 on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This car is great! It drives smooth, but the size of the car could use a V6 instead of a 4 for power. This car is very roomy compaired to the Toyota Carola I test drove. I like the shoulder belt in the middle; great safety for my children. All in all, The exterior, interior and safety features was a big plus. It did have two recalls on it that no one had ever fixed: heater blower resistor and connector, and the front spring shield.

Great car
By Michel ouellette on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I can't beleive that this car was replaced by the champions of recalls (the Focus). This car looks great, has loads of power, a very reliable engine/transmission (My first priority) AND outstanding handling. I will conceade that it is not the ideal familly vehicle as was intended by Ford due to restricted (even after improvement in 98)rear seat. A child seat is very difficult to use. But this was not a conscen for me. The Duratec is the only All aluminium, dual overhead cam north american engine. And no this is not a Mazda Engine , this is Ford's. And in a 3.o Liter( I wish) the standard engine in base Jaguar S type, Lincon LS, and Jaguar X-type.

Vroom vroom Candie the Contour
By Pixie tha Racer on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I love my Candie the Contour. I bought her in Nov. with 69k mi. and have had many problems since. Within our first week together, she needed a new serp belt, new spark plugs,a new air filter, a coolant flush,and a new glove box. During the second week, she stalled like crazy and eventually wouldn't start cause she needed a new fuel line. Not to mention the humming sound when I turn the wheel to the right, or the big huge CLUNK! When I take a sharp turn. And after all this work, she's been mine for two wonderful months now and STILL the freekin coolant light and the check engine lights come on ALL THE TIME! AHHH!

This was a great car!
By yeah-yeah on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this Contour (V6, AT, A/C, PW, PD, CC, AM/FM/CD, Alloy 15" Wheels, Keyless Remote & Anti0-Theft Immobilizer) to be our everyday driver. It turned out to be a great car, with a few problems. Before the 3yr / 36,000 mile warranty expired, we bought a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty for $1200. Good thing, too, because at 40,000 miles the transmission suddenly started "slam-shifting" and had to be replaced to the tune of $3,500 at the dealer. The extended warranty covered 90% of that, so it easily paid for itself. At around 85,000 miles the Check Engine Light started coming on -- all it needed was new spark plugs to pass its CA smog check (with flying colors).