1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
170HP rocks
By Spaceman Spiff on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle handles like a sports car, and has all the power you need. Even after six years, there is no engine noise to speak of.

Very safe
By loved it on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I was involved in a bad accident in this car. The car was totaled, both airbags deployed, and the car was hit at a speed in excess of 50mph. I was driving and was able to walk out of the hospital the same day. The safety features of this car are excellent. I loved the car while I had it.

Not bad for a Ford
By cpk-se on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car for a year now. I bought it used with 56k and now have 76k on it. It has been very reliable. I have only replaced brake pads and the battery. It's fun to drive and gets decent gas mileage.

'98 Contour SE V6
By Alan_01 on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

So far (67K miles) this has been a pretty good car. The power is wonderful and the transmission is smooth-shifting. The drivetrain has been reliable with no repairs to date. With regular fluid changes/maintenence these cars can go a long way. So far the only problems have been paint and power windows. The paint on the rocker panels flakes off, but that could be caused by driving through construction for much of its life. The rear power windows will temporarily quit working, then work again later. The interior could be better, but it isn't too bad. The plastics have a cheap feel and the stereo could be better.

best car for the money
By tom k on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour used in 2000. Highway milaege is around 26 mpg. I have a 2.0 I-4. Engine is quite peppy. Car is better than Civic od Corolla for lower price. It was designed in Germany. I test drove 200 hp Taurus SEL abd I still prefere my Contour. It has better feel behind the wheel. Ford did not introduce new Mondeo/Contour to US, which was a STUPID MOVE. As they do not offer next model I will have to buy Honda Accord.

Regrettful
By sucker on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a couple years and have had nothing but problems. Now the Check Engine light stays on, despite a few dealerships checking it inside and out. It occasionally smells like gas, dies from time to time, and feels like it's jumping when you are stopped. The worst part about all these problems is that nobody can find anything wrong! They tell me there is nothing to fix!

never again!!!!
By corey469 on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for only about 3000 miles (41000 when purchased) the cv joints went. Then it was recalled for not having the shock covers on the front. Then the air blowers went, all the air came out the defroster!! 5000 more miles, the serpintine belt went along with the spark plugs. Now my car always says its 'cold'. Broken Sensor. The air always smells like anti-freeze when i drive!! When i put the a/c on, i lose about 30 hp!!! The car is slow, unreliable, uncomfortable, and too much to maintain!!!

1998 Contour SE Sport
By weaselbomb on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

In my opinion, the Contour SE Sport is the second best car that one could buy for commuting as well as carry things as well as people. The only other car i would buy would be the SVT Contour, although the insurance is much higher than the SE Sport. Nearly all of the features of the SVT are included on the SE Sport, although the latter lacks the horsepower boost from the SVT labs. A GREAT car, Ford really shot themselves in the foot for discontinuing this model. Fuel economy could be better, although i do have a lot of weight in my car at one time. VERY fun to drive, and VERY VERY comfortable for all 4 (or even 5) passengers.

Blast to drive
By continuity on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since it was about 15k miles old. Beautiful, no problems that couldn't be fixed under warranty. Don't bother with the automatic... why bother handicapping such a wonderful machine that deserves the 5 speed?

Contour
By Spisak on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Leaks oil, reacalls, recalls, recalls lights come on. Ford should be ashamed