Used 1998 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Doesnt get more reliable than this car!
By Ken

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my SE in 1998 with 15K. Has not let me down once since I bought it. With only regular maintaince it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. 27MPG in town, and a best of 34MPG on the highway cant be beat. Currently has 112,000 miles and still starts and drives like it did when I bought it. Ride is probably a little stiff to most people, but very well controlled and makes me want to take the curves and turns faster than I really need to. Excellent cornering manners. Very comfortable in town and downright perfect for road trips. Mine has the 2.0 Zetec engine and it delivers more than enough power for commuting, but could use a little more for driving in the mountains.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Handles great. Better fuel mileage than anything else I have owned or driven. Interior is simple but has everything I need. Quiet during normal driving but the engine has a really nice muted growl when accelerating hard.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are possibly the worst design ever. There is a factory updated design that works much better though. I-4 engine could use another 15-20 lbs torque and horsepower. But with the relaiblity of this engine Im not complaining. Nothing breaks on this car. Better than the Honda I had.

My contour
By tibbylover89

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

This car was my first car. The first year there was nothing wrong with it. But ever since I got it inspected in 01/09, it has been stalling a lot, the a/c clutch went (500$), the fuel flapper went (500$), and I have spent about $450 having mechanics try to figure out why it keeps stalling. It still needs a transmission switch, and an O2 sensor. At only 90k miles, I never thought I would be going through so much trouble. So I got another car. The car had a decent preformance for a sedan, nothing compared to my '03 Tiburon. I drove it fast a lot, because it my first car. I was learniing to drive. It has no RPM gauge. So that may be why I am having a few issues. Overall, it was an ok car.

Favorite Features

a lot of room, comfy seats, gas mileage, color, cheap parts

Suggested Improvements

better made stock parts, extended recall on the flapper

My 98 contour is not a quality vehicle
By Aaron

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out 11 weeks after purchase. It's broken down on me 3 times and now the torque converter has gone out. Power windows have a mind of their own. They work off and on. Already spent more on repairs than what I paid for it back in 2004. $2999 Not at all reliable and a waste of much needed money for college. I will never purchase another lower end car from ford.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality mechanical parts if you wish to keep your customers!

1998 Ford Contour SE 4 cyl DOHC
By Arthur Blessing

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased car 1998 thru Hertz- 1998 model w/25,000 miles ; sale: pleasant experience, price quite reasonable, complete file kept on car by them, kept in like new condition by Hertz. Car has been extremely reliable and durable, similar in build quality to my previous Toyota. Front seats very comfortable (I'm 5'-11"), a few minor recalls handled well by Ford dealers, no major failures on car, just replaced things that wore out (belts, brakes, rotors, sparkplugs, thermostat, etc.). At 112,000 miles now still has original starter, alternator, water and fuel pumps, and now needs front end bushings and A/C compressor. Very happy with this car, except for mileage: 20-24 mpg for 4 cyl. car.

Favorite Features

Looks and handling (with 15" wheels and tires), front seats firm support and comfort, reliability of build, controls and nice durable paint job.

Suggested Improvements

A little underpowered, although 16 valves and DOHC give it fairly good performance. Mileage disappointing for a smaller 4 cylinder car.

Been a Great Car
By onyx_ranger

1998 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new for my wife. She commuted 54 miles round trip, both highway and winding country roads. After 11 years and 120000 miles no problems. Replaced timing belt and plugs at 80000 as preventative maintenance along with water pump. One front wheel bearing replaced at 90000. Brakes around every 40000 miles, tires at 60000 & 110000. Still runs strong, AC still cold, decent mileage and still tight. Burns no oil. Chgd oil & air filter every 5000. Probably keep it until it dies. Did the work myself so it has cost very little to operate over the last 11 years. Basically changed the oil and drove it. What more could you ask for in a car? Great Car!

Favorite Features

Style, handling, performance, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None!