Used 1998 Ford Contour Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Great first car
By Awlix

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is AMAZING! We bought it at $1500, great condition, and it only had 52,300 miles on it! I havenít had any big problems with it. The biggest problem was a flex pipe falling off ($150), common problem. Runs and drives smoothly, has great gas mileage, wonderful cooling & heating system. This car gets me from point A to B and even to C. This is my first car and I love it! Large trunk, comfortable back seat, great sound quality, the fans are a bit loud but at least you know your engine won't overheat. Great first car, great turning, overall nice car. This car is small and can maneuver around large objects, but it still has great leg room.

color, trunk, wide dashboard, armrest, fabric interior, warm in the winter cool in the summer, steering, gas mileage, design.

cup holders

Bring the Contour back
By Leo M. Gates

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 Contour (2.0 Zetec VCT, 5 sp manual) with 26,000 miles on it 8 years ago and now it has just crossed over the 100,000 mile mark. It is reliable, comfortable and economical. I've replaced a few things over the years as expected but this car has spoiled me. Sometimes I think it's time to upgrade but when I read reviews,I go running back to my Contour.

Handles like a VW, corners flat, engine has "like-new" compression, tight body, good looks.

Cup holders are too shallow.

Fun Daily Driver
By Kevin S of NC

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2.0L Zetec with automatic transmission at 26,000 miles. Now at 154,000 miles, I have experienced one major problem: lesson learned - change the idler pulleys with the timing belt since the OEM bearings are failure-prone. Small oil leaks from the valve cover were resolved with a new gasket and grommet set. I have really enjoyed this car and have kept it up with an excellent preventative maintenance program. Being a mechanical engineer may have something to do with it, too.

My 4-cylinder A/T model gets outstanding mileage on the highway and the trunk size has usually been adequate for most trips.

I was told the OEM speakers are good for 30 watts per channel so I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit. The sound quality has been better than I expected.

The only Ford vehicle I will buy
By Jeremy

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

My mother had owned an old contour for some time. It had two things I find invaluable in any car. With gas prices now, fuel effeciency is a must and ours made it from Louisiana to Florida with-out a worry on one tank. Reliability is the other; it ran quite well until someone who had no idea how to drive a standard borrowed it. Even though it had some problems after that, it still ran fairly well. It was not until my sister ran it into a stump, that it finaly stopped running. And that was because the tire ripped everything off; the engine still runs though. The only drawback that I personally had issues with was the seat adjustment was messed up and I'm 6'.

Good on gas and simple to drive.

I've noticed that the doors have structural problems along with the seat adjustments.

The Contour Experience
By Gnat

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

Faithful starting, efficient, rear trunk trickle leak from above in process of repair, regular maintenance with 3,000 mile oil changes, traveled half of East Coast, mostly a commute car, comfortable, about to do 90,000 mile maintenance, spent too much time diagnosing and dealing with problem locally. Ford dealership found problem and quickly and resolved, zeroing in on specific problem area with computer diagnosis.

Fuel efficiency, reclining seats.