1998 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Reliable and Fun to Drive
By Wumbly on 08/28/10 09:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Contour SE practically every day since I bought it new in 1998. It has the 2.5 L Duratec engine and a five speed manual transmission. This car drives and handles like a quality German machine. The manual transmission also has that German response and feel. I've put 225K miles on the car and it's still going strong. The AC quit a couple of years ago, but I'm too cheap to replace it. Other than that, maintenance has been limited to fluid changes, tires, brakes, shocks, and the front ball joints. Believe it or not, I'm still on the original clutch with no signs of slippage.

Wow! I am still in shock!
By Natividad on 07/26/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always owned "Ford" vehicles but this one has to be the best one yet! I am totally impressed. The Number One tip I can share with everyone is, stay on top of your Oil Changes. I have received many cards stating it has many recalls but the way I figured it was if it isn't broken, "Why fix it!" Now if I would have had a problem then that a different story. I just traveled over 1950 miles and I only spent $87.00 in gas. No lie. So, I have no complains. My car has been everywhere and aside from a flat tire. "To be expected!" no other complains. Thanks Ford Company! I am still a committed customer.

I would do it again
By Bob on 02/28/10 10:03 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Wife bought the car used (26,000 miles) in 2000. I commuted with it for the next 10 years, 72 miles/day for 4 years and 40 miles/day for the remainder. In 146,000 total miles, the worst problem was a/c compressor--$700-at around 50,000 miles. I've also replaced the alternator and the water pump. Gets 30 mpg all the time, no matter where or how I drive. Starting to leak a few bodily fluids, but not bad. Selling her today, but I'll never forget her.

Fords last good vehicle
By pablo on 01/10/10 14:04 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 2.0 Contour in 02' when my 89 Volvo died w/276k. Contour had 58k when I bought it now has 136k. I replaced the orig. timing belt at 102K, did it myself with a book in 6hrs. This car has been nothing but pure joy, all electronic,ac/heat work great. Replaced header exhaust flex pipe 2x, Brakes 2x, car is well maintained at 25 city, 32 hiway mph, engine is still tight and clean no oil burning, when I pulled valve cover to set cams. It has some rot coming thru now in front of rear wheels, orig. rear struts will need to be replaced soon. So impressed with this car I bought a 99' w/59k in 06' and stashed it so I have another. The 99 is just as good. I'm buying a 2.0 2000 to keep 2.

Fun but with problems
By NatG83 on 11/04/09 15:11 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had 2.5L V6, Auto. Interior was mostly cheap materials, but ergonomic and simple. Seats were firm, but comfortable enough. Alot of issues with the HVAC. The fan motor resister pack blew out and the fuse box shorted. Water pump broke at 50,000 miles. The control for the secondaries on the air intake was made of plastic, thus it wouldn't work if it got too hot. Constantly had issues with O2 sensors failing. Had an issue with the fuel filler. Cheap wiring in the doors cause issues with speakers. But, engine was strong. Mileage was good, but the tank was small. Excellent handling with the Sport package. Excellent capability in the weather. Traded in do to misfire and detonation in one cylinder.

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6
By Nick R. on 10/14/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My contour was purchased with 9,800 miles in 2003. It was used by an elderly couple until they both passed away. My mother drove it back and forth to work until turning it over to me when I got my driver's license. Today it has just under 80,000 and the car still looks like new. The car has never left me stranded although I have had a couple repairs. Intake manifold gaskets($330) at 34k miles, some pollution device($350 but car was running fine - 55k miles), and just recently replaced tie rod bushing, sway bar link, and control arm bushing. Steering is still tight and the V6 pulls just like it did when pruchased. Have replaced tires, front brake pads and rotors. Avg 25mpg

222,000 miles and still going!
By newbie on 09/25/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Yes, can you believe it! 222,000 miles on this thing, and I am still driving it! I bought this car in 2000 with about 30,000 miles on it, and have had to replace NOTHING under the hood except spark plugs, spark wires, filters - just regular tune-up stuff! I had also purchased a 2005 Focus - but I like my Contour much better. Comfort and interior style were lacking in my Focus. Love this car - I would definitely buy another if they were only still made...

Doesnt get more reliable than this car!
By Ken on 07/13/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my SE in 1998 with 15K. Has not let me down once since I bought it. With only regular maintaince it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. 27MPG in town, and a best of 34MPG on the highway cant be beat. Currently has 112,000 miles and still starts and drives like it did when I bought it. Ride is probably a little stiff to most people, but very well controlled and makes me want to take the curves and turns faster than I really need to. Excellent cornering manners. Very comfortable in town and downright perfect for road trips. Mine has the 2.0 Zetec engine and it delivers more than enough power for commuting, but could use a little more for driving in the mountains.

My contour
By tibbylover89 on 06/21/09 19:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car was my first car. The first year there was nothing wrong with it. But ever since I got it inspected in 01/09, it has been stalling a lot, the a/c clutch went (500$), the fuel flapper went (500$), and I have spent about $450 having mechanics try to figure out why it keeps stalling. It still needs a transmission switch, and an O2 sensor. At only 90k miles, I never thought I would be going through so much trouble. So I got another car. The car had a decent preformance for a sedan, nothing compared to my '03 Tiburon. I drove it fast a lot, because it my first car. I was learniing to drive. It has no RPM gauge. So that may be why I am having a few issues. Overall, it was an ok car.

1998 Ford Contour SE 4 cyl DOHC
By Arthur Blessing on 04/09/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased car 1998 thru Hertz- 1998 model w/25,000 miles ; sale: pleasant experience, price quite reasonable, complete file kept on car by them, kept in like new condition by Hertz. Car has been extremely reliable and durable, similar in build quality to my previous Toyota. Front seats very comfortable (I'm 5'-11"), a few minor recalls handled well by Ford dealers, no major failures on car, just replaced things that wore out (belts, brakes, rotors, sparkplugs, thermostat, etc.). At 112,000 miles now still has original starter, alternator, water and fuel pumps, and now needs front end bushings and A/C compressor. Very happy with this car, except for mileage: 20-24 mpg for 4 cyl. car.