1998 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Reliable and Fun to Drive
By Wumbly on 08/28/10 09:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Contour SE practically every day since I bought it new in 1998. It has the 2.5 L Duratec engine and a five speed manual transmission. This car drives and handles like a quality German machine. The manual transmission also has that German response and feel. I've put 225K miles on the car and it's still going strong. The AC quit a couple of years ago, but I'm too cheap to replace it. Other than that, maintenance has been limited to fluid changes, tires, brakes, shocks, and the front ball joints. Believe it or not, I'm still on the original clutch with no signs of slippage.

Great first car
By Awlix on 07/26/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is AMAZING! We bought it at $1500, great condition, and it only had 52,300 miles on it! I haven’t had any big problems with it. The biggest problem was a flex pipe falling off ($150), common problem. Runs and drives smoothly, has great gas mileage, wonderful cooling & heating system. This car gets me from point A to B and even to C. This is my first car and I love it! Large trunk, comfortable back seat, great sound quality, the fans are a bit loud but at least you know your engine won't overheat. Great first car, great turning, overall nice car. This car is small and can maneuver around large objects, but it still has great leg room.

Wow! I am still in shock!
By Natividad on 07/26/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always owned "Ford" vehicles but this one has to be the best one yet! I am totally impressed. The Number One tip I can share with everyone is, stay on top of your Oil Changes. I have received many cards stating it has many recalls but the way I figured it was if it isn't broken, "Why fix it!" Now if I would have had a problem then that a different story. I just traveled over 1950 miles and I only spent $87.00 in gas. No lie. So, I have no complains. My car has been everywhere and aside from a flat tire. "To be expected!" no other complains. Thanks Ford Company! I am still a committed customer.

Bring the Contour back
By Leo M. Gates on 07/17/10 00:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 Contour (2.0 Zetec VCT, 5 sp manual) with 26,000 miles on it 8 years ago and now it has just crossed over the 100,000 mile mark. It is reliable, comfortable and economical. I've replaced a few things over the years as expected but this car has spoiled me. Sometimes I think it's time to upgrade but when I read reviews,I go running back to my Contour.

I would do it again
By Bob on 02/28/10 10:03 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Wife bought the car used (26,000 miles) in 2000. I commuted with it for the next 10 years, 72 miles/day for 4 years and 40 miles/day for the remainder. In 146,000 total miles, the worst problem was a/c compressor--$700-at around 50,000 miles. I've also replaced the alternator and the water pump. Gets 30 mpg all the time, no matter where or how I drive. Starting to leak a few bodily fluids, but not bad. Selling her today, but I'll never forget her.

Fords last good vehicle
By pablo on 01/10/10 14:04 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 2.0 Contour in 02' when my 89 Volvo died w/276k. Contour had 58k when I bought it now has 136k. I replaced the orig. timing belt at 102K, did it myself with a book in 6hrs. This car has been nothing but pure joy, all electronic,ac/heat work great. Replaced header exhaust flex pipe 2x, Brakes 2x, car is well maintained at 25 city, 32 hiway mph, engine is still tight and clean no oil burning, when I pulled valve cover to set cams. It has some rot coming thru now in front of rear wheels, orig. rear struts will need to be replaced soon. So impressed with this car I bought a 99' w/59k in 06' and stashed it so I have another. The 99 is just as good. I'm buying a 2.0 2000 to keep 2.

Fun but with problems
By NatG83 on 11/04/09 15:11 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had 2.5L V6, Auto. Interior was mostly cheap materials, but ergonomic and simple. Seats were firm, but comfortable enough. Alot of issues with the HVAC. The fan motor resister pack blew out and the fuse box shorted. Water pump broke at 50,000 miles. The control for the secondaries on the air intake was made of plastic, thus it wouldn't work if it got too hot. Constantly had issues with O2 sensors failing. Had an issue with the fuel filler. Cheap wiring in the doors cause issues with speakers. But, engine was strong. Mileage was good, but the tank was small. Excellent handling with the Sport package. Excellent capability in the weather. Traded in do to misfire and detonation in one cylinder.

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6
By Nick R. on 10/14/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My contour was purchased with 9,800 miles in 2003. It was used by an elderly couple until they both passed away. My mother drove it back and forth to work until turning it over to me when I got my driver's license. Today it has just under 80,000 and the car still looks like new. The car has never left me stranded although I have had a couple repairs. Intake manifold gaskets($330) at 34k miles, some pollution device($350 but car was running fine - 55k miles), and just recently replaced tie rod bushing, sway bar link, and control arm bushing. Steering is still tight and the V6 pulls just like it did when pruchased. Have replaced tires, front brake pads and rotors. Avg 25mpg

222,000 miles and still going!
By newbie on 09/25/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Yes, can you believe it! 222,000 miles on this thing, and I am still driving it! I bought this car in 2000 with about 30,000 miles on it, and have had to replace NOTHING under the hood except spark plugs, spark wires, filters - just regular tune-up stuff! I had also purchased a 2005 Focus - but I like my Contour much better. Comfort and interior style were lacking in my Focus. Love this car - I would definitely buy another if they were only still made...

1998 ford contour cng
By josh on 07/21/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

i own a 1998 contour gl it has been great to me 123,000 miles on it original tranny , motor it has been very well takin care of maintanice wise.its my work car it also runs off natural gas it is the cng equipped model. so i can use natural gas and 87 unleaded fuel.I love this car never been to the shop for nothing serious just oil changes and brakes, tires routine stuff.great gas milage for one. even better with the bi fuel when gas prices are ski high i use the natural gas cant beat that only 1 percent come with that on this vechile. if i got rid of it only because i got offered alot for it for mthe natural gas set up on it.i rate this car a overrall 8.all around good vechile.