Used 1998 Ford Contour GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

1998 ford contour cng
By josh

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

i own a 1998 contour gl it has been great to me 123,000 miles on it original tranny , motor it has been very well takin care of maintanice wise.its my work car it also runs off natural gas it is the cng equipped model. so i can use natural gas and 87 unleaded fuel.I love this car never been to the shop for nothing serious just oil changes and brakes, tires routine stuff.great gas milage for one. even better with the bi fuel when gas prices are ski high i use the natural gas cant beat that only 1 percent come with that on this vechile. if i got rid of it only because i got offered alot for it for mthe natural gas set up on it.i rate this car a overrall 8.all around good vechile.

bi fuel mines cng package on it. It uses natural gas only 1 percent have it on them. works great and runs great on it. Keep it for ever as long as it last which i think it will. Built ford tough. the cng burns so clean in the motor its really good for it. Not this hybird electric crap thats junk.

i have none its no mustang but is not a piece of crap chevy either, could have alittle more stock power from factory thats about it to me maybe around 170hp would be good for a 4banger.

My 98 contour is not a quality vehicle
By Aaron

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out 11 weeks after purchase. It's broken down on me 3 times and now the torque converter has gone out. Power windows have a mind of their own. They work off and on. Already spent more on repairs than what I paid for it back in 2004. $2999 Not at all reliable and a waste of much needed money for college. I will never purchase another lower end car from ford.

Interior is nice

Use better quality mechanical parts if you wish to keep your customers!

Owner of 2 contours!
By Larissb

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

-good car,but check engine lights never goes off, even after being fixed -cupholder was designed by an idiot -1st car went to 220000 which was pretty good got with 153000 paid 2000.00

-nice red -space in front seat -peppy

-door locks they don't lock no more -head lights could be brighter -cupholders -sunvisor snapped off

Thank You Sir May I Have Another!
By John

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My contour has treated me and my family very well. It has had small problems, but nothing that other vehicles don't have. I bought it with 30,000. It now has 160,000. I would drive it another 8 years if it weren't for the deer that ran into the side of it. I paid 10,000 for it and it was well worth it. As for any bad reviews, you can't expect steak and eggs when you pay for a Burger and fries. Its not a Cadillac, its a contour, and it serves its purpose. Especially when fuel was at 5.00 a gallon. I always saw the contour as the Taurus's little brother.

fuel economy,reliability.

Oh the Contour
By Amanda

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the Contour used in 2005 with 110,000 miles, as soon as we pulled off the lot, my power steering pump had a leak and we were unable to drive it home. It costed $350 to fix. Two months after I purchased the car, three window motors/regulators blew. It cost $150 to fix just the drivers side window. About 6 months later, my check engine light came on. O2 Sensor. Replaced it, $100. Came to find out that wasn't the problem, the wires connected to the 02 sensor were messed up, $300 to fix it. After owning the car for two years, I came across the worst problem. Computer was fried, wires to the computer were fried, Timing Belt, and tensioner. $2000 to fix, didn't do it. Just got rid of it.

I enjoyed the steering, and the A/C was good.

Design a better engine, with more kick. Different cup holders.