1998 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
1998 ford contour cng
By josh on 07/21/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

i own a 1998 contour gl it has been great to me 123,000 miles on it original tranny , motor it has been very well takin care of maintanice wise.its my work car it also runs off natural gas it is the cng equipped model. so i can use natural gas and 87 unleaded fuel.I love this car never been to the shop for nothing serious just oil changes and brakes, tires routine stuff.great gas milage for one. even better with the bi fuel when gas prices are ski high i use the natural gas cant beat that only 1 percent come with that on this vechile. if i got rid of it only because i got offered alot for it for mthe natural gas set up on it.i rate this car a overrall 8.all around good vechile.

My 98 contour is not a quality vehicle
By Aaron on 06/12/09 09:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out 11 weeks after purchase. It's broken down on me 3 times and now the torque converter has gone out. Power windows have a mind of their own. They work off and on. Already spent more on repairs than what I paid for it back in 2004. $2999 Not at all reliable and a waste of much needed money for college. I will never purchase another lower end car from ford.

Owner of 2 contours!
By Larissb on 03/30/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

-good car,but check engine lights never goes off, even after being fixed -cupholder was designed by an idiot -1st car went to 220000 which was pretty good got with 153000 paid 2000.00

Thank You Sir May I Have Another!
By John on 03/27/09 22:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My contour has treated me and my family very well. It has had small problems, but nothing that other vehicles don't have. I bought it with 30,000. It now has 160,000. I would drive it another 8 years if it weren't for the deer that ran into the side of it. I paid 10,000 for it and it was well worth it. As for any bad reviews, you can't expect steak and eggs when you pay for a Burger and fries. Its not a Cadillac, its a contour, and it serves its purpose. Especially when fuel was at 5.00 a gallon. I always saw the contour as the Taurus's little brother.

Oh the Contour
By Amanda on 01/03/08 09:10 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the Contour used in 2005 with 110,000 miles, as soon as we pulled off the lot, my power steering pump had a leak and we were unable to drive it home. It costed $350 to fix. Two months after I purchased the car, three window motors/regulators blew. It cost $150 to fix just the drivers side window. About 6 months later, my check engine light came on. O2 Sensor. Replaced it, $100. Came to find out that wasn't the problem, the wires connected to the 02 sensor were messed up, $300 to fix it. After owning the car for two years, I came across the worst problem. Computer was fried, wires to the computer were fried, Timing Belt, and tensioner. $2000 to fix, didn't do it. Just got rid of it.

Too good to keep making
By Paul on 01/16/07 20:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The only Ford I ever owned was a 63 and a half Falcon V8 Sprint. I have 3, 98GL, 99LX, and 00SE Ford Contours. I bought one and a year later, loved it so much had to buy 2 more just to have in garage next to the Vette. Economy, dependability, and durability is job one on these Contours. I replaced the timing belt in 2 Contours at 75 & 90k just for general principal. Engines and trans have regular filter changes and no problems. A/C's haven't been charged yet. Engine and car electronics, not one problem. Set the cruise on the Rt 80, Mass Pike, MA, at 65 and it will hold its own and still get 35mph. The steering is still tight. The Contours are great fun cars. I may have to get and add an SVT.

Get a good tow truck plan!
By CLAZ on 06/28/06 11:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I originally leased this car for two years. I decided to buy the car because I had no problems up until that point. About two months afterwards, my transmission blew. 6 months later it was the engine and so on and so on. I ended up having to bring the car in for a minimum of $500 worth of repairs every 6 months like clockwork. Car had to be towed at least 10 times before I was finally able to get rid of it. Nobody ever really figured out the O2 sensor problem, electric problems,belt problems,etc. It's a shame because the car handled great after the repairs and it was very comfortable. Ford has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, they basically disown you after you leave the lot.

Love my Conto
By Teri13180 on 04/18/06 15:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Conto used and I love it. It is a 6 cylinder sport model. Have had some minor repair work done, but all and all I'm very happy with my purchase. I have taken it on several long road trips and have never had an issue. Very reliable, starts great in 30 below weather, and handles great on icy roads, which I encounter more than half of the year in Montana. Defroster could be a little better. I have had my engine light come on a few times, once was plugs needed changing, and the other times there was a miss when idling. My mechanic told me it happens with all sorts of different cars, just undo battery cables for 60 seconds and it resets. If thats my biggest problem, I'm good to go!

HOW MUCH?
By B Alb on 01/09/05 15:17 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought car used with 40K on the odometer. Good price. Drove fine for about a year. Recall city, couldn't put gas in it, recall; heater blower went out; recall. Cankshaft positioning sensor went out, transmission went, eats front tires like the Cookie Monster does chocolate chips. Service engine light on repeatedly. Loose connection with front O2 sensor. Has a funny surge problem when accelerating. Replaced water pump. Brake rotors and wheels front end very difficult to remove, They stick to the hub. I have not had any of the alternator charging system problems that others have reported. Although the garage that did the transmission said they will never do another Contour.

lots of repairs
By jbird1979 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

When I first purchased this car, I should have know things wouldn't go well based on the number of recalls! The fuel filler neck, blower swith, airbag sensors, and transmission gear indicator were all in need of repair. Too bad everything else wasn't covered by recalls or technical service bulletins. I've had to replace the AC system, cooling fan (twice), thermostat, belt tensioner, and much more. At least it's paid for...