almost 200k and still kickin'
By mickeyb08 on
1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan
Excellent mid-size car, bought mine from a junkyard here on an Air Base in Germany for 400 bucks had 180k miles on it and just needed a new set of cam seals, front springs (the new springs were actually in the back seat when I bought it) and had to adjust my parking brake a little tighter, of course I did the usual tune up stuff when I bought it (oil change, coolant and tranny flush, new plugs etc.) but it's now at 195k miles and still goes GREAT it's pretty quick for what i'd call a socker mom car and out handles some of the beamers here, those last 15 miles weren't easy driving miles either, alot of autobahn @ 100mph+ (that governer at 112mph is a PIMA) overall I can't complain
Favorite Features
I love the decent smooth acceleration the 2.5 duratech gives, probably the best ford v6 EVER, the suspension is solid but not too stiff so it creates a nice balance to the sportiness I enjoy and the smooth ride my wife likes, the front seats are a little "flat" for me, i prefered my honda's deeper bucket seats, but they aren't bad for a long drive, the back seat has plenty of room for my son's rear facing car seat, and friends when I want to drive 4 people around, the trunk is spacious. only complaint I really have is my manual shifter is a little bit of a longer reach than I would like and takes too much effort between gears, as compared to my wife's audi 80 which i can almost flick around.
Suggested Improvements
I would suggest that ALL contour owners remove the stock resonator (if not get a better exhaust entirely) as it does next to nothing and is insanely restrictive, also replace that terrible stock airbox with a better intake, and you'd be suprised what that 2.5l can do when it can breathe, also if you have had the car for awhile I'd recommend some stiffer control arm bushings and new springs as those always seem to go bad, and the stiffer bushings will make this good handling car handle like a lotus.