Used 1997 Ford Contour GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

A good "starter" car
By jenbeaner

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I agree with other reviewer - I would only recommend a Contour to a high schooler buying their 1st car. I bought this car 5 years ago, and it started out with minor problems - the cup holders breaking (was told they "overload" too easily). But the last 2-3 years, I've noticed every time it gets humid, rainy or even when I have my air on, my car wants to stall. I know someone else who has a Contour, & the same thing happens to hers. Now my temp gauge is not functioning, & not too long ago, my cruise control broke because of an electrical problem (too expensive to even bother). I also was surprised to find I couldn't get my car out of park one day also because of an electrical problem.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, awesome gas mileage, large trunk for groceries or whatnot, no real blind spots,

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders - either stronger or different design all together. Make the car more reliable. My trunk also leaked; don't know if that was just my car or if all had that problem.

Reliable, Economical & Good Handler
By Bob

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

A very decent car. Nothing to get excited over, but great transportation. Handles very well, and with the right tires excellent in the snow. Got it with 33K on it and 100K warranty. Only the cigarette lighter and cup holders went out under warranty. 100k tune up, but needed new plugs at 85k. 4 cyl is simple to tune up. Smooth transmission. At about 110K needed new brakes (3rd set), waterpump and TIMING BELT. Still gets ok mileage at 114K, 23 city, 29 hwy. Used to get better, but its aging. You do have to maintain these! Do yourself a favor--get the tranny fluid changed (ideally flushed). I've done that twice--happy transmission. Solid car!

Favorite Features

Handles well, especially in the snow. Reliable/dependable--just do the maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

OK, of course the cupholders are crap, but that is minor. Wish there was a touch more room in the engine compartment. FORD--don't EVER hide that PCV valve so deep in the engine--shame on you! I'm going to start driving my 2003 Ford Focus soon--that is similar.

Great driving car, but...
By Chuck

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I loved the way it drives, and I still do. I'm not completely happy, though, because I have never had such a series of small problems with a car. Interior parts (that darn cupholder!), window motors and relays, sensors, etc. The brake rotors are thin and have a short life expectancy. It never ends. But I have to say that I've never been stranded in this car. The drive train has been 100% reliable. Still, Ford cancelled the model (I guess it drives too well) and the small things... so this will be my last Ford.

Favorite Features

The way it drives (w/manual transmission and Sport package)

Suggested Improvements

Make the little things as reliable as the drivetrain.

Good reliable car
By yanks27

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The Ford Contour is a good driving car for driving to work and back. It wont turn any heads, but you will get to where you want to go, and when it comes down to it, that is all a car is suppose to do.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By rjs66

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this and it is been trouble from early on. At 7k miles, the tranny started leaking fluid. 6-7 recalls. Poor acceleration. After about 30-35k miles, it started idling horribly, sounding like it would stall, and it even did several times. At 45k it sucked $250 in repairs, a couple months later, $500, and a couple months later, at 50k miles, it would have been $1200 after it was determined that the O2 sensors, computer and 5 other things were faulty, but I declined to fix it and got rid of it. I will never buy Ford. I would only recommend buying a used one if it is for a high schooler's first beater car.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Make a reliable car, the cup holders were junk and broken, half of the controls on the dash panel (like the headlights) operate in a counter- intuitive fashion. I guess there is no reason to improve it since even Ford decided to abandon it.