1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
A good "starter" car
By jenbeaner on 07/18/05 23:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I agree with other reviewer - I would only recommend a Contour to a high schooler buying their 1st car. I bought this car 5 years ago, and it started out with minor problems - the cup holders breaking (was told they "overload" too easily). But the last 2-3 years, I've noticed every time it gets humid, rainy or even when I have my air on, my car wants to stall. I know someone else who has a Contour, & the same thing happens to hers. Now my temp gauge is not functioning, & not too long ago, my cruise control broke because of an electrical problem (too expensive to even bother). I also was surprised to find I couldn't get my car out of park one day also because of an electrical problem.

Reliable, Economical & Good Handler
By Bob on 01/19/05 04:51 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

A very decent car. Nothing to get excited over, but great transportation. Handles very well, and with the right tires excellent in the snow. Got it with 33K on it and 100K warranty. Only the cigarette lighter and cup holders went out under warranty. 100k tune up, but needed new plugs at 85k. 4 cyl is simple to tune up. Smooth transmission. At about 110K needed new brakes (3rd set), waterpump and TIMING BELT. Still gets ok mileage at 114K, 23 city, 29 hwy. Used to get better, but its aging. You do have to maintain these! Do yourself a favor--get the tranny fluid changed (ideally flushed). I've done that twice--happy transmission. Solid car!

Great driving car, but...
By Chuck on 12/17/04 01:28 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I loved the way it drives, and I still do. I'm not completely happy, though, because I have never had such a series of small problems with a car. Interior parts (that darn cupholder!), window motors and relays, sensors, etc. The brake rotors are thin and have a short life expectancy. It never ends. But I have to say that I've never been stranded in this car. The drive train has been 100% reliable. Still, Ford cancelled the model (I guess it drives too well) and the small things... so this will be my last Ford.

Good reliable car
By yanks27 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The Ford Contour is a good driving car for driving to work and back. It wont turn any heads, but you will get to where you want to go, and when it comes down to it, that is all a car is suppose to do.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By rjs66 on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this and it is been trouble from early on. At 7k miles, the tranny started leaking fluid. 6-7 recalls. Poor acceleration. After about 30-35k miles, it started idling horribly, sounding like it would stall, and it even did several times. At 45k it sucked $250 in repairs, a couple months later, $500, and a couple months later, at 50k miles, it would have been $1200 after it was determined that the O2 sensors, computer and 5 other things were faulty, but I declined to fix it and got rid of it. I will never buy Ford. I would only recommend buying a used one if it is for a high schooler's first beater car.

Great affordable car
By july on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. I got it at 35,000 miles and got all the way up to 90,000 without any problems other than normal wear and tear. I delivered pizza in it for two years and it still worked fine. Would have kept going if someone hadn't totaled it while I was sitting at a red light. I'm looking for another one now.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By Felito on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new and I had numerous problem issues with it. The interior cheap plastic broke on numerous occassions, Passenger shoulder harness housing, cuptray, etc. Driver's window motor broke twice in 4 yrs. time. Transmission went out at 52k miles. I am an aircraft mechanic and I maintained this car twice as better as the recommended maintenance intervals. I purchased a 2002 Toyota Corolla brand new it has 62000 miles now and still has not given me any problems. I am convinced that if you want a dependable transportation car you need to buy a Japanese one. I will never buy american junk again.

Super Car
By AV Duncan on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have been totally amazed by this car. The front seats are unbelievably comfortable; the gas mileage is out of sight; and absolutely no mechanical problems in 6 years - not a single one at 94,000 miles. An unbelievable buy - I would buy another one if they still made them (oh, they still do; only now they are known as the Jaguar X-Type). I knew there was a reason why; it just took me awhile to find out.

never misses a beat
By HelenFelice on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased 97 GL sport 5 speed. this car is excellent in the snow, climbs mountains with ease and is definitely fun to drive. I average 28/30 mpg which makes my compute of 120 miles a day a breeze. I just replaced the clutch at 120,000....it starts without a problem and has been very reliable. I love being able to keep up with the "big dogs"

97 Ford Contour
By Deborah Bussell on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Although this is a small, economical car, I find it to be more than I bargained for. It handles well, taking corners well. It is extremely dependable. With 120,000 miles, I have never had a minutes trouble, even on cold mornings. Never had to replace any shocks. I have been extremely satisfied with my Contour. I only wish I could buy a 2003 model.