Used 1997 Ford Contour GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Ford Folly
By PimpinGT

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to go through front tires at an unbelievable rate. The damn cup holders are junk, one broke and the other one is extremely hard to get up (cheap plastic interior). The next problem was that its battery light would come on whenever I accelerated. Then it died altogether. Finally, every time that I would stop at a stop sign or stoplight, the car sounded like it was going to stall. I wouldn't recommend a ford to anyone for any reason except to put it in a demo derby (hell, it may come out running better).

This car doesn't have any favorites

Stop selling Ford's please

Good yet anoying
By kurenai07

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

A decent car. Nothing too special about it. Drives and handles well. And the fronts seats are pretty comfy.

I have the 6 cylinder and all I have to say is that ford packed so much under the hood of the car that to do any major repairs costs a lot of money. Make sure if you buy one it already passes emissions.

Pleasantly surprised and thankful
By T.Amundson

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with low mileage almost ten years ago. I have not had one problem with it and have experienced only normal wear and tear. The car has been serviced regularly, consistent oil changes and new tires when necessary. It's great on trips being comfortable and reliable. At present it has a little over 100,000 miles on it and could go for another 50 to 60,000 miles. Car does need some cosmetic work but very little. Interior in excellent condition with no tears or cuts. Dashboard still in pristine condition as is the stereo (tape deck only). In short it has served me well...want to sell for automatic due to broken arm and age.

Standard shift - it lends itself to power especially up a hill/mountain. Good radio, heater and air.

Darker tinted windows, automatic door locks with a key and larger spare tire - this one has a "baby" one.

age and comfort
By frank hart

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from a private party with 27000+ miles August 2005; the car is clean inside and out, no dents or rust. Problem being our age (70-75), we need a better riding car. This make and size is perfect for a younger person.

Handling qualities and low maintenance costs.

We miss the power features that we have on our other car; power seats and power windows.

Best car I ever owned
By Handy Andy

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and being a person that prefers GM I was skeptical. However, this has turned-out to be the best I've ever owned. It has excellent "giddy-up-n-go", 28+ mpg hwy with a/c, easy to drive, and plain satisfies all of my expectations of what a car of this type should be. It is regrettable that I am forced to get rid of it, but dire financial problems forces me to.

The power to "git on it" when necessary; power windows/locks; comfortable seats.

None.