1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Pleasantly surprised and thankful
By T.Amundson on 02/21/07 12:22 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with low mileage almost ten years ago. I have not had one problem with it and have experienced only normal wear and tear. The car has been serviced regularly, consistent oil changes and new tires when necessary. It's great on trips being comfortable and reliable. At present it has a little over 100,000 miles on it and could go for another 50 to 60,000 miles. Car does need some cosmetic work but very little. Interior in excellent condition with no tears or cuts. Dashboard still in pristine condition as is the stereo (tape deck only). In short it has served me well...want to sell for automatic due to broken arm and age.

Safe
By AndyL on 11/10/06 10:34 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my son but decided to keep it for myself because its zippy acceleration would only have caused me much grief. I enjoyed the car while I had it, but it ultimately saved my life in a nasty head-on car crash. The car withstood a 110 mile per hour impact. After a couple weeks in the hospital and months of rehab, I can honestly say the car performed as Ford planned. Between the air bags and the engineered crush points, I'm happy to be alive to submit this review.

age and comfort
By frank hart on 07/14/06 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from a private party with 27000+ miles August 2005; the car is clean inside and out, no dents or rust. Problem being our age (70-75), we need a better riding car. This make and size is perfect for a younger person.

Best car I ever owned
By Handy Andy on 10/26/05 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and being a person that prefers GM I was skeptical. However, this has turned-out to be the best I've ever owned. It has excellent "giddy-up-n-go", 28+ mpg hwy with a/c, easy to drive, and plain satisfies all of my expectations of what a car of this type should be. It is regrettable that I am forced to get rid of it, but dire financial problems forces me to.

A good "starter" car
By jenbeaner on 07/18/05 23:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I agree with other reviewer - I would only recommend a Contour to a high schooler buying their 1st car. I bought this car 5 years ago, and it started out with minor problems - the cup holders breaking (was told they "overload" too easily). But the last 2-3 years, I've noticed every time it gets humid, rainy or even when I have my air on, my car wants to stall. I know someone else who has a Contour, & the same thing happens to hers. Now my temp gauge is not functioning, & not too long ago, my cruise control broke because of an electrical problem (too expensive to even bother). I also was surprised to find I couldn't get my car out of park one day also because of an electrical problem.

Reliable, Economical & Good Handler
By Bob on 01/19/05 04:51 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

A very decent car. Nothing to get excited over, but great transportation. Handles very well, and with the right tires excellent in the snow. Got it with 33K on it and 100K warranty. Only the cigarette lighter and cup holders went out under warranty. 100k tune up, but needed new plugs at 85k. 4 cyl is simple to tune up. Smooth transmission. At about 110K needed new brakes (3rd set), waterpump and TIMING BELT. Still gets ok mileage at 114K, 23 city, 29 hwy. Used to get better, but its aging. You do have to maintain these! Do yourself a favor--get the tranny fluid changed (ideally flushed). I've done that twice--happy transmission. Solid car!

Great driving car, but...
By Chuck on 12/17/04 01:28 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I loved the way it drives, and I still do. I'm not completely happy, though, because I have never had such a series of small problems with a car. Interior parts (that darn cupholder!), window motors and relays, sensors, etc. The brake rotors are thin and have a short life expectancy. It never ends. But I have to say that I've never been stranded in this car. The drive train has been 100% reliable. Still, Ford cancelled the model (I guess it drives too well) and the small things... so this will be my last Ford.

Good reliable car
By yanks27 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The Ford Contour is a good driving car for driving to work and back. It wont turn any heads, but you will get to where you want to go, and when it comes down to it, that is all a car is suppose to do.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By rjs66 on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this and it is been trouble from early on. At 7k miles, the tranny started leaking fluid. 6-7 recalls. Poor acceleration. After about 30-35k miles, it started idling horribly, sounding like it would stall, and it even did several times. At 45k it sucked $250 in repairs, a couple months later, $500, and a couple months later, at 50k miles, it would have been $1200 after it was determined that the O2 sensors, computer and 5 other things were faulty, but I declined to fix it and got rid of it. I will never buy Ford. I would only recommend buying a used one if it is for a high schooler's first beater car.

Great affordable car
By july on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. I got it at 35,000 miles and got all the way up to 90,000 without any problems other than normal wear and tear. I delivered pizza in it for two years and it still worked fine. Would have kept going if someone hadn't totaled it while I was sitting at a red light. I'm looking for another one now.