1997 Ford Contour Sedan 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

1997 Contour Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
almost 200k and still kickin'
By mickeyb08

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent mid-size car, bought mine from a junkyard here on an Air Base in Germany for 400 bucks had 180k miles on it and just needed a new set of cam seals, front springs (the new springs were actually in the back seat when I bought it) and had to adjust my parking brake a little tighter, of course I did the usual tune up stuff when I bought it (oil change, coolant and tranny flush, new plugs etc.) but it's now at 195k miles and still goes GREAT it's pretty quick for what i'd call a socker mom car and out handles some of the beamers here, those last 15 miles weren't easy driving miles either, alot of autobahn @ 100mph+ (that governer at 112mph is a PIMA) overall I can't complain

Favorite Features

I love the decent smooth acceleration the 2.5 duratech gives, probably the best ford v6 EVER, the suspension is solid but not too stiff so it creates a nice balance to the sportiness I enjoy and the smooth ride my wife likes, the front seats are a little "flat" for me, i prefered my honda's deeper bucket seats, but they aren't bad for a long drive, the back seat has plenty of room for my son's rear facing car seat, and friends when I want to drive 4 people around, the trunk is spacious. only complaint I really have is my manual shifter is a little bit of a longer reach than I would like and takes too much effort between gears, as compared to my wife's audi 80 which i can almost flick around.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that ALL contour owners remove the stock resonator (if not get a better exhaust entirely) as it does next to nothing and is insanely restrictive, also replace that terrible stock airbox with a better intake, and you'd be suprised what that 2.5l can do when it can breathe, also if you have had the car for awhile I'd recommend some stiffer control arm bushings and new springs as those always seem to go bad, and the stiffer bushings will make this good handling car handle like a lotus.

Inexpensive Wheels?
By Chauncey Townsend

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought our Contour w/85k miles. Loved driving it. Good on gas, one of my favorite cars out of 15+ owned over the years. Only complaint was at 101k miles the head cracked and ended up costing a small bundle to repair notorious Ford 4 cyl. problem. Just be careful of used high mile Contours.

Favorite Features

Power everything, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders!

Good car with lots of miles
By Beth

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Contour in high school and I have been out of school now for five years and I still have my car. It has a lot of miles on it but my Contour has got me where I needed to go and back. I have always been able to count on it.

Favorite Features

Good AC and good heater. AC freezes me!

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions

Safe
By AndyL

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my son but decided to keep it for myself because its zippy acceleration would only have caused me much grief. I enjoyed the car while I had it, but it ultimately saved my life in a nasty head-on car crash. The car withstood a 110 mile per hour impact. After a couple weeks in the hospital and months of rehab, I can honestly say the car performed as Ford planned. Between the air bags and the engineered crush points, I'm happy to be alive to submit this review.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and gas mileage. This Sport model was a sharp looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the water leaks to the trunk during rainy weather.

100,000 Miles in a Contour SE
By bcarpenter03

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We have had this vehicle for five years and like it alot. We got it with the V6 and 5 speed manual transmission, and it has a totally different character from what you get at a car rental agency. It is a lot of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The acceleration and handling surprise everybody who rides in it. It is also very comfortable for the front seat passengers and OK for those in the back. It has been very reliable, requiring no repairs other than maintenance items.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have is that the original tires only lasted 25k miles. Part of this is due to the factory caster and camber settings (the rest is due to Firestone...)

Still acts and looks like $30,000+
By DGray

1997 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I ordered this black SE in 1996 and have been completely impressed for the $19,000 I paid. It has all the features you a "semi-picky" person would want and more. The styling and the handling are right on target. The price is incredibly low and a testimony to the lack of "cache" American cars have...even if they were developed in Europe. I think the first review score of 1 was a mistake by the reviewer...thus the low over-all rating.

Favorite Features

engine power and growl / leather seating and over-all interior styling / sophisticated lines of sheet metal

Suggested Improvements

build more like it / Ford should open itself back up to the under-40 yrs old market who do not care for "cheap" cars.