1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
almost 200k and still kickin'
By mickeyb08 on 07/03/11 09:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent mid-size car, bought mine from a junkyard here on an Air Base in Germany for 400 bucks had 180k miles on it and just needed a new set of cam seals, front springs (the new springs were actually in the back seat when I bought it) and had to adjust my parking brake a little tighter, of course I did the usual tune up stuff when I bought it (oil change, coolant and tranny flush, new plugs etc.) but it's now at 195k miles and still goes GREAT it's pretty quick for what i'd call a socker mom car and out handles some of the beamers here, those last 15 miles weren't easy driving miles either, alot of autobahn @ 100mph+ (that governer at 112mph is a PIMA) overall I can't complain

Inexpensive Wheels?
By Chauncey Townsend on 02/10/08 13:17 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought our Contour w/85k miles. Loved driving it. Good on gas, one of my favorite cars out of 15+ owned over the years. Only complaint was at 101k miles the head cracked and ended up costing a small bundle to repair notorious Ford 4 cyl. problem. Just be careful of used high mile Contours.

Good car with lots of miles
By Beth on 12/04/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Contour in high school and I have been out of school now for five years and I still have my car. It has a lot of miles on it but my Contour has got me where I needed to go and back. I have always been able to count on it.

Safe
By AndyL on 11/10/06 10:34 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my son but decided to keep it for myself because its zippy acceleration would only have caused me much grief. I enjoyed the car while I had it, but it ultimately saved my life in a nasty head-on car crash. The car withstood a 110 mile per hour impact. After a couple weeks in the hospital and months of rehab, I can honestly say the car performed as Ford planned. Between the air bags and the engineered crush points, I'm happy to be alive to submit this review.

100,000 Miles in a Contour SE
By bcarpenter03 on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

We have had this vehicle for five years and like it alot. We got it with the V6 and 5 speed manual transmission, and it has a totally different character from what you get at a car rental agency. It is a lot of fun to drive.

Still acts and looks like $30,000+
By DGray on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I ordered this black SE in 1996 and have been completely impressed for the $19,000 I paid. It has all the features you a "semi-picky" person would want and more. The styling and the handling are right on target. The price is incredibly low and a testimony to the lack of "cache" American cars have...even if they were developed in Europe. I think the first review score of 1 was a mistake by the reviewer...thus the low over-all rating.