1997 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
almost 200k and still kickin'
By mickeyb08 on 07/03/11 09:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent mid-size car, bought mine from a junkyard here on an Air Base in Germany for 400 bucks had 180k miles on it and just needed a new set of cam seals, front springs (the new springs were actually in the back seat when I bought it) and had to adjust my parking brake a little tighter, of course I did the usual tune up stuff when I bought it (oil change, coolant and tranny flush, new plugs etc.) but it's now at 195k miles and still goes GREAT it's pretty quick for what i'd call a socker mom car and out handles some of the beamers here, those last 15 miles weren't easy driving miles either, alot of autobahn @ 100mph+ (that governer at 112mph is a PIMA) overall I can't complain

Underrated car
By Wxdog on 11/01/09 12:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this four-banger ("Sport" version) when it was 3-years old. It's performed very well. Excellent mileage on the highway but just OK in the city. Really good handling was always noted by the critics and anyone who drives my car is surprised by its performance. It has a somewhat bland/odd exterior. Critics complained the legroom in the back wasn't enough. To me it's fine unless you have long legs. There is a persistent problem with a switch for the heater/AC control. It's a recall so it gets replaced when it breaks (every 3-years or so) for free. The timing belt broke at about 65,000 miles, a few miles beyond when the manual says to replace it. Be warned.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By JR on 10/30/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Ford - Drive One? I had a 1997 Ford Contour GL that was fun to drive and very fuel efficient during its time. I really took care of it as well. However, throughout my experience of driving it since August 1997, I went through a lot of adversity with it in the long run as far as recalls and parts replacement is concerned. I had a lot of stuff replaced in this car; it did cost x-amount of dollars for repairs. Other than that, the car ran pretty good during its time until a major oil leak occured; it was gonna cost thousand of dollars to fix. As a result, it was goodbye for me driving a Ford around March 2009. After that, I went out and bought a 2009 Honda Civic LX Sedan as a replacement.

12 years and still reliable
By mar on 03/25/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought it new in early 1998 and the first tune-up according to manual was after 10 years. Never had a problem with reliability. I drove it up and down the east coast and into Canada and I must write that it is indeed reliable and low maintenance. The color looks like it is just 3 years old. I am proud of the 97 Ford Contour After 10 years, it still has no rust and the paint is still shiny considering the it is never garaged.

Best ever
By Nicole Lake on 01/11/09 20:10 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with 125K and I have to say it's been the best car I have ever had. Yes it does have the small minor problems such as leaking in the trunk, and the cupholder. This car gets me to school, work, and through my daily task. This is my first car but there was no way I got robbed with it. I definitley gets up and go when you need it too. Gas mileage is great in this car, I get about 28 mpg to 32mpg. Overall the best car ever.

I love this car
By New Contour on 08/13/08 23:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new for my wife and it lasted 11 years and 140,000 miles and it's still going. Great while the kids were young but too small now. Front seats are suprisingly comfortable for a small car. I wish they still made them because this would be great for my kids when they become new drivers.

Ford Folly
By PimpinGT on 03/15/08 21:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to go through front tires at an unbelievable rate. The damn cup holders are junk, one broke and the other one is extremely hard to get up (cheap plastic interior). The next problem was that its battery light would come on whenever I accelerated. Then it died altogether. Finally, every time that I would stop at a stop sign or stoplight, the car sounded like it was going to stall. I wouldn't recommend a ford to anyone for any reason except to put it in a demo derby (hell, it may come out running better).

Inexpensive Wheels?
By Chauncey Townsend on 02/10/08 13:17 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought our Contour w/85k miles. Loved driving it. Good on gas, one of my favorite cars out of 15+ owned over the years. Only complaint was at 101k miles the head cracked and ended up costing a small bundle to repair notorious Ford 4 cyl. problem. Just be careful of used high mile Contours.

Good car with lots of miles
By Beth on 12/04/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Contour in high school and I have been out of school now for five years and I still have my car. It has a lot of miles on it but my Contour has got me where I needed to go and back. I have always been able to count on it.

Good yet anoying
By kurenai07 on 10/18/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

A decent car. Nothing too special about it. Drives and handles well. And the fronts seats are pretty comfy.