1996 Ford Contour 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Life of a V6 Automatic

1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Life of a V6 Automatic
By Ryan M. on

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The ride comfort is the best part. I work 63 miles away from home and when I get out of the car after the trip I feel like I've been sitting on a couch for an hour and a half. Ford mechanics are poor on the V6 design. Oil changes will leave your exhaust covered in oil, the catalytics plug up after 40k miles, the waterpump uses a plastic propeller that breaks after 30k miles, the rotors warp easily, the plastic components including door handles (inside and out) came loose at 75k, other little things like a melted alternator, wires shorting out, wheel bearings, automatic transmission take away a lot of V6 power.

Favorite Features

Brakes are very tight for impressive stopping without ABS. Seats are really comfortable. Lots of trunk room. Easily modified for performance, Duratec V6 is a great base engine, it loves Mobil 1 too.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to work on the electrical side of their engineering and manage their emmissions system better. You plainly get what you pay for in this car.